SimCity 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straybow
    I would want a SimCity taken it in the other direction: more about the buildings and infrastructure, less about watching automated people wandering around.
    You don't necessarily have to focus on individual people. I think SimCity covers both the infastructure and the social aspects well. You can pick what to focus on, and when to pay attention (or not) to your sims. I saw an ad for SC3K that said something to the effect that you can zoom in or get a bird's eye view, so the simulation works on both scales.

I admit, though, that they are capitalizing on the success of characterization in The Sims.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I hope they don't go whole hog adding The Sims aspects. SimCity has a different audience.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

...I think that the best thing about SimCity4 is the linkage of the cities a la The Sims... Finally, we will be able to create Suburban Sprawl, Farms, and Bedroom Communities!
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          I hope they don't go whole hog adding The Sims aspects. SimCity has a different audience.
          From what I gather, the Sims aspect is just to gather feedback on how your city is doing over all. Much of the transportation information and personality of your residents is to give you instant feedback on how you are doing as the mayor of your town. I have also had concerns with Sims in the game but I don't think it will be harmful. It seems to me that it is just something else to give feedback unless you want to follow around a particular sim that you have a crush on.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

The Sims actions seems strictly limited to SimCity functions, i.e. they will chase work, try to live in a suitable area and comment on the state of the infrastructure. Just a more personal way of finding out the information that Joe Public bombarded you with in SimCity 2/3.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

From the main website:

11.12.02 - Chat Event With SimCity 4 Designer Michael McCormick
              We will be hosting a chat event on Thursday, November 14th at 3PM (PST) with SimCity 4 Designer, Michael McCormick where he will answer all of your questions about the MySim feature in SimCity 4. The event will be held in the SimCity 3000 Unlimited chat room at SimCity3000Unlimited.ea.com. You must be registered at the SimCity 3000 Unlimted website so get there early to register and submit your questions.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

Grumbold >> Posted that a couple post before you
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Looks like my eyes, brain and fingers aren't talking too each other at the moment. I blame too many good games piling up on the imminent release list. Its a miracle I get any work done at all
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

"You don't necessarily have to focus on individual people…"

Well, the game is focused on how sims like/dislike every feature of your city. In other words, it's only as good as the sims are programmed, not about making a city work.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Here's some new movies:

I have seen on of them, and it's about gameplay, looks great

EDIT:

Hmmm...strange, the link doesn't work...just try to do a search on that page...

One of the new things you see, is a disaster: lightening...looks awsome
                      Last edited by Adagio; November 15, 2002, 11:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                        Well, the game is focused on how sims like/dislike every feature of your city. In other words, it's only as good as the sims are programmed, not about making a city work.
                        The sims are important in that they test your creation. Without people to drive on the roads and use the power, the simulation would mean little. In short, I think making a city work is providing services to the people, which makes the sims critical for the entire model. So yes, I think SimCity is about the sims, but that's how to model how a city works.

There is a way to just build a city and not have sims distract you: the pause button.
                        It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I wonder if the game top list (both the one for series, and for individual games) will change after the release of SC4?

Comment

There's a new chat transcript detailing the ways you can use MySims and 9 new screenshots on the main site. The sports field, zoo and giant robot all look beautiful. Heck, everything looks beautiful
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Great news...better go take a look

Comment

Nice screenshots, though the questions asked in the chat were pretty...dumb...most of them...Most of those questions has already been answered in other rewievs...but I guess those participitating, haven't read those...

Though one question had a "nice" answer...you can import pets into SC4 as MySims

Comment

Working...
                                X