Super Nintendo Entertainment System Memorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System Memorial

The Super Nintendo may be my favorite gaming system of all time. It had a great variety of games and a simple interface. Additionally, most of its lifespan was before the era when games were expected to be super-realistic and were allowed to be simple, clean fun (I'm sure there are some who would gripe about the fact that Yoshi's tongue attack can reach through bricks).

My only regret is that there were some games that I never got to play on their native system, such as Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, and Final Fantasy IV. I would have been perfectly happy with another three years of Super Nintendo. But the big money and 3-D graphics called, and its time is up. The last game rolled off the assembly line years ago, but the fun will never be forgotten, and will live again every time I load up Donkey Kong Country.
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Hmm. you've got a point about ultra-realistic games. Me, I play games to escape from reality. I still have happy memories of days gone by, but time and tide, as they say, waits for no man. SNES has had its day but, like other consoles and comps, will be kept alive by a dedicated few(I still have an ATARI ST and a Lynx).

Comment

I don't care about realism in cartoon-esque games such as Mario. The whole concept is foreign so why not the gameplay.

I'd care about realism in games that claimed to be based on reality, alternate history or such. I always got miffed in the SNES version of SimCity when you could build a Megalopolis without ever building roads.

My favourite SNES game was Probotector. That was fun.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I still have my NES, SNES and old skool grey GB!

I still play my NES and SNES games.

I got pretty much everything for the SNES. The Gun, the mouse, and the Super Game Boy.

Then I got a computer and never bought any of these new console systems. I love editing my games, so being a modder, I don't want to wast my money on games I can edit.

Some of my fav SNES games:

Super Mario World
        Super Mario Kart
        Star Fox
        Jurrasic Park
        EVO: The Search for Eden
        Stunt Race FX
        Super Metroid
        Donky Kong Country
        Killer Instict
        Zelda
        Crono Trigger
        Illusion of Gaia
        Secret of Mana
        Yoshi Island
        Super Mario All-Stars

I got about a Dozen more that I think of right now.
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

My neighnour had a SNES, and I enjoy it!

We played hours and hours to

- Super Mario World
          - Super Mario All Stars
          - FX Zero
          - Street Figther

NES was a good system!
          Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

snes was my favorite console by far. hell, the only reason i still am interested in consoles is because i'm still hoping they'll be as great as the snes again. snes had a huge range of good games. it was really the only time i played the console more than the pc.

i think a lot of snes's success came from the fact it only had 1 competitor, and it was at an era when graphics were basically not the selling point. sure good gfx were important but in reality the gfx difference between snes games was minimal. they ended up spending more time on gameplay than gfx, unlike today were you have to spend massive effort on gfx, and gameplay seems an after thought in most games.

i always think of games like this - gameplay, content, and graphics. many games now have very simple gameplay with most of the effort spent on lots of content with great gfx. a good example is morrowind, i don't think it has much gameplay at all. tons of content, and good gfx, but in reality the gameplay is so simple and has no dynamics in it. gameplay is something like quake or civ, back and forth competition with things you can learn and improve your skill as you gain experience from playing or just using your brain to think of new tactics/strategy/etc.
            Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Killler Instinct was wicked, which was the best character? My two favourites would definetly be Fulgore and Jago, but I always hated facing Eyedol (sp?) and his endless combos.
              It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I've started getting back into my SNES emulator and playing through Chrono Trigger again. I forgot just how good of a system it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Wille
                  Killler Instinct was wicked, which was the best character? My two favourites would definetly be Fulgore and Jago, but I always hated facing Eyedol (sp?) and his endless combos.

Spinal... his combos were easy for me and rocked hard, the next choice would be Saberwolf. Fulgore was cool, but hard to pull off combos.
                  I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by pg
                    snes was my favorite console by far. hell, the only reason i still am interested in consoles is because i'm still hoping they'll be as great as the snes again. snes had a huge range of good games. it was really the only time i played the console more than the pc.
                    I was going to get the NU64, but I got a pc, so there was no reason. That and I hated the controler.

i think a lot of snes's success came from the fact it only had 1 competitor, and it was at an era when graphics were basically not the selling point. sure good gfx were important but in reality the gfx difference between snes games was minimal. they ended up spending more time on gameplay than gfx, unlike today were you have to spend massive effort on gfx, and gameplay seems an after thought in most games.
                    And I LMAO when I heard Sega tanked in the consule buisness. I totaly agree with your last part. Most games today try to pull off fancy graphics that suck anyway and cut down gameplay for in game stories and scripted events.

i always think of games like this - gameplay, content, and graphics. many games now have very simple gameplay with most of the effort spent on lots of content with great gfx. a good example is morrowind, i don't think it has much gameplay at all. tons of content, and good gfx, but in reality the gameplay is so simple and has no dynamics in it. gameplay is something like quake or civ, back and forth competition with things you can learn and improve your skill as you gain experience from playing or just using your brain to think of new tactics/strategy/etc.
                    Gameplay, replay value and conent are my big three. Graphics mean NOTHING to me.

I disagree with your example of MW. Most FPS games today have better looking graphics, animation and texturing then MW. MW sufferes from massive clipping. HOWEVER, because of it's wide variety of ways to play it, replay value is very high. I fail to see how you were able to compare MW to quake or civ. Neither are RPGs. Quake is basicly a "floating gun" FPS, and Civ is a War/Stragity game (of course, I know some people here that think otherwise ). I'm not busting your chops or anything I just fail to see it? Becareful how you reply to me... Dargoth Ur is my friend.

Comment

I liked Spinal and Riptor in the first Killer Instinct game, but they took the latter out for Gold! But I always did best as Fulgore.

My favorite SNES games were Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. The later DKC games were good, but they just lacked that intangible something extra (maybe something to do with Donkey not being in them?). After those two, Mario Kart, Mario All-Stars, and Pilotwings were cool.
                      Last edited by Mr. President; October 13, 2002, 07:16.
                      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Oh yeah Mariokart is a multiplayer classic, as for most crappy character in KI my vote goes to Thunder.
                        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I am in the perfect age group for digital gaming. My first console was the Atari 2600 at the age of around 6. I can't tell you how many hours I spent at the local K-mart with my best friend stealing transformers and using the demo NES to play Mario, Excite Bike, and Kung Fu.

By the time I was in high school, I had already spent many hours playing Mario 2 and 3, Zelda: link to the past, and one of my all time favorites- Populous, my introduction to RTS.

Once I had moved out on my own, buying a N64 and 27inch TV for it and playing Zelda:Ocarina of Time and Mario64 was how I entered manhood.

But then I decided to get a PC, mostly just so I could play the much improved Simcity2000 (having played Simcity on NES, I wanted to continue my city building career), but found that games like X-wing vs. TIE fighter, Age of Empires, Soul Reaver, and QuakeIII were just more suitable to my tastes.

I do have an SNES emulator though :P

Comment

Master Blaster
                            Adventures of Little Nemo
                            River City Ransom
                            Shinobi
                            Ninja Gaiden

....true works of art.

DuckTales->the soundtrack kicked buttocks!
                            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Bubble Bobble!

Now that was the best NES game!

Comment

Working...
                              X