No announcement yet.

Best Game Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm usually not even aware of the music in games.

The only one which made me sit up and take notice, and both sounded cool AND immersed me more fully into the game was The Curse Of Monkey Island.

it was like starring in your own comedy film.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Myst, very moody and atmospheric. For me the main reason the other myst games didn't measure up to the original, was because they screwed up the original's music.
      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Master of Orion (the first one) - the only game where I didn't turn off the music after a few hours of play.

Comment

Lots of good soundtracks around these days. If there's one I never want to hear again its the Leisure Suit Larry theme
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

It's the Donkey Kong Country series, and you all know it.

Comment

Red Alert

best ever IMHO,
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Sim City 3000

Civ2 had a good soundtrack.

I think you need a psychiatrist (sp)...

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                  Total Annihlation, and Europa Universalis 2.
                  And how could I forget Arcanum?
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

In general: MOHAA, Civ II ("classic" and UCC).
                    Specific track: World of Jules Verne (Civ II UCC).
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                      Sim City 3000

Civ2 had a good soundtrack.

I think you need a psychiatrist (sp)...
                      It has the best song ever on it. I could listen to the others quite a bit too.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I liked the theme tune to Deus Ex, but there was a slightly computerized feeling to it that detracted from the whole. Had the opening theme not degenerated into a synth-metal fest after the third saraband, I would have liked it more.

Lucasarts' flight sim games are excellent and the music is unsurprisingly great as well, but that's kind of cheating since they were taken straight from the films.

If anybody has played Jet Force Gemini for the N64, you'll know the definition of catchy tunes! Some of those are so good they sound just like they're straight out of a movie or something.

I'll also vote for the Mario series, especially Marios 2, 3, and 64. I didn't like Mario World's songs all that much as they were just repetitions of a theme similar to the 60s song "Grandma We Love You".

The background music of Clive Barker's Undying is fantastic, and I liked the boss music of Lisbeth the most. Mad flourishes and manic cadences as you fight for your life against the vicious nymphet!
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Well, unsurprisingly, Uematsu & Mitsuda are on the top of my list. Though I think I slightly prefer Uematsu, Mitsuda's Xenogears might well be the best soundtrack I've heard overall. Uematsu's Final Fantasy IV & Final Fantasy VIII are probably his best, although they're all good. Motoi Sakaruba (Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile, Golden Sun) & Noriyuki Idaware (Lunar Series, Grandia Series) both have their own unique and very distinctive styles, which I like a lot and are also excellent.

As for the Xenosaga soundtrack, the Last battle piece... eh, it's still good, but it feels oddly restrained. It keeps on building up... and then it doesn't take the last step and let loose and rule. If he had just pushed it a little farther, it would have been great, but it leaves me slightly unfilled. Although I do agree that "Battling KOS-MOS" rules, probably the best piece on the soundtrack as far as I'm concerned.

On the American side of things, Heroes of Might & Magic, both II & III, have ridiculously good music. I think that the snow music from HOMM2 might just be the most evocative atmospheric piece I've heard. And as people have mentioned, Colonization's music is quite catchy- probably the best Civ game music I've heard.

Myth I and II

Ramo, are you feeling okay? Okay, they had some nice drum beating after the battle was over, but the actual game was all atmospherics and sound effects. Effective sound effects, mind, but not exactly "music."
                          All syllogisms have three parts.
                          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Either Homeworld or Deus Ex.

btw... the civ2 tracks were ok except for Ghuhatama (sp?) Ponders. That track was so horrid i wanted to commit suicide.

Comment

Ghuhatama (sp?) Ponders
                              Im pretty sure it plays that one every other time too, just to annoy me

Comment

Final fantasy VI. end of story.
                                Talent Optional

Comment

Working...
                                X