No announcement yet.

List of must play games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got System Shock 2, but sadly have not installed it.
    One day I will, but I gather that I need at least 2 days clear before I begin.
    "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
    "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
    - Pekka

Comment

Europa Universalis 2
      Warlords Battlecry 2
      Serious Sam (either one)
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Alpha Centauri
        SimCity 3000
        Older SimGames, particularly SimAnt, SimEarth, SimTower
        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Caesar III/Pharaoh
          Ground Control
          Rollercoaster Tycoon
          Deus Ex (again)

Caesar and Pharaoh are old games but they draw you in like no other (bar civ). Ground Control would look/run great on a geforce 4, plays even better.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Europa Universalis 2
            Medal of Honour: Allied Assault
            In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
            In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Age of Wonders, Age of Wonders 2.

IMO you can skip Tropico

Probably SimCity 4000 when it comes out. BTW if you have never played the original UFO: Enemy Unknown I highly recommend it.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I played the demo of System Shock II and was unimpressed. Maybe it just takes some time to get going.

And I will say this: the idea of Chrono Cross's plot is decent. The problem is in the execution. You're required to do pointless fetch questy stuff, yet some vital plot information is optional and nigh-on-impossible to find. And some of the revelations on Disc 2 manage to, at the same time, be cheap and implausible; make one of the main villians look like an utter moron; screw with CT's plot offstage (ie not shown or you affect it in anyway), they just mention "Oh, by the way, we decided to make life suck on some characters in CT for no apperant reason"); and compress about 10 hours worth of gameplay into some screens of text revealing a skeleton of an idea for an endgame. And oh yes, the good ending has some really stupid philosophy to it as well (Although I will credit the game that the way to get the good ending is completely innovative, and I like that. I just think that the good ending is actually worse than the bad ending, if that makes any sense).
                All syllogisms have three parts.
                Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Ultima IV through VII.

Comment

Europa Universalis 2: Redefined the historical strategy genre. So many great innovations.

Deus Ex: Looking a bit dated, and the early levels are rather drab, but it really picks up, and has some nifty features such as a flexible storyline and character development.

Chrono Trigger: A wonderful 16-bit RPG. Best things include the plot, the villain, the characters and the battle system. Unlike the Final Fantasy games, it doesn't have any mind-numbing 'random monster encounters'.

Homeworld: RTS set in space. A bit old, but the presentation is still wonderful. The nebula section is particularly cool.

Comment

Listed in alphabetic order.

Civ
                      Civ II
                      Civ III
                      Gettysburg
                      MOHAA
                      Pacific General
                      Panzer General
                      Railroad Tycoon
                      Railroad Tycoon Deluxe
                      Railroad Tycoon II
                      Railroad Tycoon II TSC
                      SimCity 2000
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I personally don't like RR II. The original is a classic, but PopTop screwed around with it too much. And I don't understand how the stock prices of a completely privatised company can change.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If you like RPG's I would add Wizardry 8 to your list.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by dunk
                            Ultima IV through VII.

Ultima II is fun as well, in a cheesy way.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Hmm so many games I've loved so I'll try to keep it short.

Role-Playing.
                              Fallout.
                              Fallout 2.
                              Planescape Torment.

Single player FPS.
                              No One Lives Forever.
                              Operation Flashpoint.
                              Giants.
                              Deus Ex.

Multi-Player FPS.
                              Giants.
                              Unreal Tournament (UT2003 is probably better but my GeForce 2 MX can't really handle it )
                              Counter Strike.

Strategy.
                              AOW.

near misses
                              CTP must be patched and modded however(Wes's), wonders if I should buy CTP2. It must be cheap by now if I can find it.
                              I'd like to say The Corporate Machine but I just started playing it.

Other.
                              Tie-Fighter. (There might be a better space game now, not sure, will be looking into it)
                              Mech-Warrior 3. (haven't got 4)
                              Sim-City 2000. (Sim City 3000 is probably better but it didn't look worth the upgrade)

I left out games which I think (thought) were great but have a hard time recommending because I think they've been eclipsed therefore I wouldn't play them today. (Civ 2, Ultima 4-7, Half-Life) Actually I probably should include Half-Life but It's not as good as the three I've listed (CS is the only reason it's still touted.) I also recommend the Ultimas if you have time.
                              Last edited by Moral Hazard; August 1, 2002, 12:29.
                              Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Here's my list of "Must play" games:

SimCity 4 (When it comes out) (Until then, play some SC3k)
                                The Settlers 2 - Gold edition (The best Settlers game ever made)
                                RollerCoaster Tycoon (The sequel will be released later this year, with only few changes in graphics...Take a look here)
                                Seious Sam (1 & 2) (The comedy they are using is just hilarious)
                                SoF2 (Great MP game...haven't played SP that much)
                                GTA3 (If you liked the first two in the series)
                                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X