Most popular game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most popular game?

What do you guys think is the most popular game now? I understand there are different genres, and understand that most prefer games with shooting - Quake, CounterStrike.

I would say that Counterstrike is the most popular game to date, but can anyone do a wrapup?

Among strategy games, I guess Civ 3 is the most popular TBS, and old good AoK is the most recognized RTS, right?

Just post what you think is popular.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

The Sims is obviously the most popular.

Civ2 has sold better than Civ3 and some reports say that the number of copies of Civ2 (illegal and legal) rival those of Myst.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

The Sims? Yikes!

Can't be the most popular game, though wait, the charts for it are really good... oh my, what a disappointment. And what are the popular strategy games, then?

Comment

single player action: GTA3
        multiplayer action: America's Army: Army Operations
        multiplayer RPG: NeverWinter Nights (NWN)
        singleplayer RPG: Morrowind
        <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
        Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

The Sims is the best selling game of all time.

Popular strategy games are Starcraft, Warcraft, C&C, and anything by Sid.
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Starcraft more popular than AoK, you think?

Comment

Yes. I forget if it is in sales, but Starcraft definantly has more of a fanatical following. Nothing close to Sid, but still pretty high.

Comment

Sid surely is the record... there's no game series running for 12 years, with success. Moreover, some Apolytoners have been playing Civ for 12 years. I haven't, but certainly am a diehard.

Comment

IIRC, Blizzard sold one million copies of Starcraft in Korea alone.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

AFAIK, Koreans are the best RTS gamers, at least for AoE2 and SC they are.

Comment

Elite ran longer, in a way. Wing Commander has also run about as long.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        Sid surely is the record... there's no game series running for 12 years, with success.

Oh yes there is!

When did the first Mario game come out? Was that 12 years ago? hmmm ... maybe not ... would be close, anyway.

The Final Fantasy series MUST have been going for more than 12 years (they're on the 11th - 13 if you count Tactics and Mystic Quest - game now, so that must equal at least 12 years). That certainly has success.

And I would guess that Starcraft is more popular than AoK ... and judging from recent sales figures Warcraft wouldn't be too far behind them.

#1 most popular has to be the Sims, though, they're making ANOTHER expansion-pack for it ... it has something to do with pets IIRC .... *sigh* if only the Civ games had 5 or 6 expansion packs in the space of a couple of years.
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Nah those aren't real games .

The Sims... I can't understand how some people love them, I played it, and got really bored soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                            Nah those aren't real games .

The Sims... I can't understand how some people love them, I played it, and got really bored soon.

I agree completely.
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

The Sims allows people to play Pokemon types games without playing something considered a kiddie game.

Comment

Working...
                              X