No announcement yet.

Games that you regret not getting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmph. A bit old now, but my replay of Imp2 has reminded me of just how good some of the elements in EU are.

This time I was doing Nigh-on-Impossible on the Europe map, and I chose Britain (for obvious reasons). It actually went reasonably well at first- through a combination of luck and playing my cards right, I managed to get an army fairly early without totally sacking my economy, and grabbed some reasonably choice provinces without appearing to be too attractive a target. And then I built up. I had enough time to actually start marching a teensy bit up the tech tree (had great Cossacks and useless, step-backward Lancers, was getting close to Musketeers).

The first war was Spain going after Sweden- Spain thankfully bordered the Swedish provinces more, and the incompotent AI doesn't know how to handle the Swedish position on real Europe that well. So they were weaker and more convenient. Good, more time to build up. I got to the point that I felt that if I was attacked I could take it- a good thing.
    Next news, France signs an alliance with Portugal. Hmm... France borders me, I should be prepared. I offer an alliance to Holland, and they accept. Now I'm set!

But darn, do I wish we had EU's alliance system. There is no idea of "Alliance of nations X, Y, & Z:" rather, it's strictly between two nations. Next news: Portugal signs an alliance with Holland. And literarly 2 turns later, France declares war on me. The Portuguese are bound by the alliance, so they declare, and so are the Dutch, so they break my alliance and declare war on me. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH. I might be able to take 1 nation, but three?!

Even worse, because once you grab territory there is no conception of the original owner, the classic EU alliance-breaking strategy of ignore your other opponents and pressure one, grab some of their land, and offer status quo in return for peace- works in real life too, look at WWI Russia- has no bearing. If you lose territory, grit your teeth and prepare to keep on fighting. So I'm stuck in a drawn out war.

Also, getting rushed by an alliance in EU may suck, but it's not certain death, even if you do lose the war. You'll give away a few provinces to people and be set back some years.

Anyway, AOW2 arrived the same day this occurred, so I don't think I'll be heading back to Imp2 anytime soon. Grrr.
    All syllogisms have three parts.
    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
      Oh, I almost forgot the one game I really missed.
      CIV2!
      what! you don't have civ2!
      you REALLY should get your copy.

(ainaki) Hellsingin stokmannilla oli MGE:tä vähän aikaa sitte. sinne. heti.
      My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Usko pois ande, en oo löytäny mistään
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast
          I regret not keeping my 486/33 running dos 6.1 and windows 3.11.
          Same here (still, my Grandparents seem to be enjoying using it)

I regret waiting four years to buy Halflife when it would have run OK on my old Pentium I
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Usko pois ande, en oo löytäny mistään
            ehkä sie voisit kopsata sen jostakin *vinkki, vinkki*
            sehän on nyt ns. abandonvarea.
            My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

There are few games I wish I had, but never didn't.

Dark Forces (I played the demo and decided to get this game, but never found it in any store... )
              Panzer General (I played Fantasy General...)
              Heroes of Might and Magic (I know I would like this game, but I think I have no more spare time left)
              I see a jewel case version of Dark Forces every time I go to the comp store. $9.99
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Lords of the Realm 2, it has sentimental value to me and now its gone.
                It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I keep seeing LOTR2 in jewel-case stacks for $5-10. Maybe it's different in Sweden. . .
                  "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

I wonder why so many regret not having Imperialism II. Certainly, it's not bad, but the only reason to change from playing Civ/SMAC is the the ingame almost baroque music . It's way better than Imperialism I, however.
                    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

My main gaming regrets are MP oriented. After loving Dune on my Amiga I began to hate RTS against the AI. Command and Conquer and Warcraft came out the same time I started playing civ2 with my spanking new PC, and there was no way those RTS games could compete with civ2's depth. I haven't played much RTS since. But these days the focus is more MP, and I bet I would have liked Starcraft or AOE2 MP.

Hmm, I have dsl now, and Warcraft3 has just come out over here.........perhaps it isn't too late.

Comment

I regret not buying Ultima 7 and particularly the Ultima Collection which was only £10. One week there were loads of copies in the shops, the next they were all gone. That was years ago and i haven't seen either since.

Comment

Working...
                        X