Games that you regret not getting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games that you regret not getting

I was recently recalling how my bad experience with the Overlord game almost led me to avoid buying the original Master of Orion classic.

That led me to think was there any games that I thought about getting, but for some reason decided not to - and now regretted that decision. I could only think of a couple (mind you I have nearly 60 games, so there can't be that many!):

Master of Magic
    possibly Imperialism 2

And of course, Civilization 3 Regular Edition - I got the Limited Edition instead.

Anybody have any games that they now regret not getting or any games like Overlord that nearly made you avoid any other games in the same genre?

Oh, Sharpie, did you screw up royally! Imperialism II and Masters of Magic are both wonderful games.

I wish I had gotten Fantasy General.

I regretted not getting Thief and Thief 2--but two weeks ago I came across Thief 2 and bought it. It's great! I started searching for Thief 1 and finally found it yesterday. (Yeah, just try finding a discontinued game made by a now-non-existent company.)

Comment

Star Control 2. I've heard so many good things about this, but I never got it when it was still in stores.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Strange as it may sound, I regret never buying The Sims. It's still in stores here, though, so it might not be too late.
        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

The two regrets that come to mind are the Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack and Imperialism II. I kept passing on the Planetary Pack, even though it was only $17! I was proud of my discipline, but later when I picked up SMAC and found out what a great game it was, I could have kicked myself for not getting the whole thing--now it's impossible to find for a reasonable price.

Comment

MoM is petty bad IMO, so no big losses there.

You can try e-Bay or some auction site to see if people are willing to part with the games they own. Many are.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Half-Life
              System Shock 2

But I seem to be repenting for my error, since I think I'll get both at very cheap prices .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

MOO. I just don't understand MOO2 now that I try it. And this means MOO3 will be just as incomprehensible to me.
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

hmmm... I dunno... maybe Jedi Knight 2
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There are a whole more games that I regret buying than games I regret not buying!

But I would agree about looking on auction websites like EBay for older games.

Comment

My only regret is Alien Crossfire. Everything else I've put off buying, I was able to get later either used or from the bargain bin.
                      "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
                        Strange as it may sound, I regret never buying The Sims. It's still in stores here, though, so it might not be too late.
                        Or Gateway is giving them away with a new computer if your in the market for that. I have regreted some purchases but normally if I regret a game long enough I can always purchase it later fo a cheaper price so it works out better for me!
                        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Yup, Alien Crossfire here too. How many copies did they print? 3?

On the bright side, I'm perfectly happy with the factions as they are, and the "required CD" thing would have been annoying (which is part of the reason why I didn't buy it right away). But I'd like to have tried it at least.

Fantasy General has been impossible to find for awhile and I got it off theunderdogs.com. I will warn you that the game gets impossibly hard toward the end, mainly due to the fact that the bad guy's experience just goes up linearly for no appearnt reason as the game goes on- so every single one of his units will be super-veterans ready to come kick your butt.

Don't feel too bad about missing Imperialism II, Colonization! is still better. There were some good ideas, but conquest & combat just didn't work that well, and the economy model sucked beyond suckitude. It's also a classic example of the class of games that are beyond hard at first (at high difficulty levels), and degenerate into beyond easy if you survive because the AI is stupid at building. And they don't scale the cheats as the game goes on, so you have to give a pretty massive bonus to the AI, which might mean they crush you when you're still building and have no hope. But once you're set-up, you're fine and nobody will be able to touch you no matter how many cheats the AI has.
                          All syllogisms have three parts.
                          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

There is no "!" in Colonization
                            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

There is in Spaceward Ho! Now there is a game.
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X