Help on Thief II, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on Thief II, please.

I was trying to hold out until this game dropped below $20, but the store was down to their last one, so I bought it yesterday.

Okay, I know darkness is my friend, but this is ridiculous.

The game starts out in a courtyard with a side room. But there is just one pool of light in each and, other than that, all is blackness. I've figure out I'm not supposed to blackjack the guy in the room, 'cause he's on my side. And I think I've found some stairs or something behind him, but they don't lead anywhere.

The map is no help. I just appear as a smear along the bottom, and I have to get inside.

Just where am I supposed to go??
    Last edited by Zkribbler; May 30, 2002, 10:59.

Try turning up the brightness. (the brightness controls can actually be mapped to keyboard - they come in really handy)
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Osweld, you are a friggin' genius!! You must have I.Q. of about 200,000!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

It helps playing in a dark room too.

I played through Thief I and II and only figured out near the end why sometimes it was easy to see, and other times why it was difficult.
        So turn your light off, shut the door, and prepare to be immersed in one of the best games ever!
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hell yeah!

I hope III is better than I!!

I will probably load both up again soon.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I liked Episodes 1 & 2 a lot. But now I'm playing Episode 3, which begins with one of those blasted doggie-through-a-hoop barriers. That is, if I don't guess exactly what I have to do & do it in the right order, I can't go on with the game. BTW, I hate these things.

I'm trying to break into the police station. I've found the switch in the control room & thown it. Then I've gone into the water pipes, have found the drain and opened the cover.

But how do I get the water to drain?
            Last edited by Zkribbler; May 25, 2002, 01:37.

Comment

Dive in and hold your breath!

If you recall from Shipping...and Receiving (the previous mission) you could swim to Captain Davidson's cargo ship and climb up the ladder at the Port side. Just swim through the pipes (taking gasps of air as you go) 'til you reach the basement of the station. There are several ways to infiltrate it from there.

Good luck, taffer!
              "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

Thanks Marid! I got faked out 'cause the diving in Thief II is much more sluggish than in Jedi Knight. I didn't think I could dive.

I've now busted into Lt. Hagen's office & the one across the hall. I guess my next move is to head for the vault. If you guys don't hear from me in the next day or so, send a cake with a file in it.

Comment

No need for that cake with a file in it. I've completed my tasks and, with the aid of an invisibility potion, I'm safely out of the police station.

But now I'm in Episode 4 with all the bluecoats in the city after me. I've made it home, but the place is surrounded!

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

So turn your light off, shut the door, and prepare to be immersed in one of the best games ever!
                    Man, is it ever! I'm now on the 5th of 15 episodes. I've already framed someone for a crime he did not commit and according to the box, I still have before me: breaking into a bank after hours, travelling an entire city district via the rooftops, and kidnapping someone from a well guarded installation.

My favorite moment so far occurred when I was preparing to shoot a fire arrow to distract a nearby guard. He spotted me and charged. The only thing I had time to do was to shoot the arrow into his face. Ooooooh. Send flowers to the widow.

Comment

The story really begins during the fifth mission; lots of information gleaned, conspiraces revealed, things really pick up from here. I envy thee, sneaking and taffing your way through Thief II for the first time.

Hope you're having fun with those crazed steampunk fanatics, the Mechanists.
                      "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

Karras is really a nice, misunderstood guy.

"It is the Builders will"
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                          Karras is really a nice, misunderstood guy.

"It is the Builders will"
                          Gawd I hate his voice!

Comment

Same.

I'm playing my way through 1 again. The woodsie quotes are excellent.

Comment

I really love the way they did the cutscenes for the Thief games; a mixture of psuedo-animation and real time action.

Comment

Working...
                              X