Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adom

Have you played/do you know ADOM, Ancient
    Domains Of Mystery? it's a rogue-like game.
    it's like NetHack but little different.

Ancient Domains Of Mystery (ADOM for short) is a roguelike game created by Thomas Biskup. It emphasizes story depth, full immersion in a fantastic world, a wide variety of professions, items and skills and many different quests. Its successor Ultimate ADOM and is made with Unity3D for many different platforms.
    My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

I have played it a little, it's okay. I have several rogue-likes on my computer.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

How did I miss this thread? ADOM is, at the moment, number 1 on my list of the greatest roquelikes - right after it comes Nethack, and after that, UnReal World. It might be quite surprising to see that ADOM beats Nethack in my list. Well, I'll tell.

1) Story - Nethack's story gets old quite soon, and you don't really get to see anything really new, save the numerous class quests. Which are pretty short and don't have any profound effect on the game itself anyway. ADOM has a big wilderness map, several different NPCs (the Oracle and shopkeepers are pretty much the only NPCs in Nethack), many more places to visit, etc.

2) Dying - I don't exactly know why, but when my character dies in Nethack, I wov to never play the game again. In ADOM, it does hurt, but I can think "Well, better char next time". It's like ADOM had better possibilities for really enhancing your character. And mindcraft, of course.

3) Interface - I simply can't go back to Nethack after spending days using the 'w'alk command of ADOM. ADOM also uses colours much more effectively and nicely.

4) Disclipine of imagination - many people commend Nethack for having pretty much everything the human mind can imagine, including the kitchen sink, handled by the game code. ADOM, on the other hand, is more "serious". I prefer the seriousness.

5) Monster memory - a nice feature. It was also very nice for slowing down my playing by several magnitudes little after I found it...

6) Mindcrafters - the coolest character class ever!

7) Elementalists - the second coolest character class ever (with a small margin)!

8) Quests - Nethack has basically no quest system. In ADOM the quest system is not used to its full potential, either, but at least it's something.

9) Public RFE system on www.adom.de where people can sing hymns to the glory of Finland

10) And finally, a name that has something to do with the game itself...
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

The best roguelike game I've played so far was Ragnaraok.

it would about kill me when my character died, though. I started backing up religiously. putting on a cursed item was exceptionally tough.
        in Ragnarok, I quickly learned that my character was not long for that world unless he found a ring of regeneration. I don't know how many times they got sick eating swamp rats, either.

I'll give adom a try, then.
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I am a Candle-junkie in ADOM... Can't live without that extra healing rate...
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I need that extra resistance against chaos.
            if your born in month of ????? you get that.

what character class and race you usually play?
            I usually play elven ranger or paladin.
            Last edited by Andemagne; May 16, 2002, 19:32.

Comment

sorry dp

Comment

Now that has to be a record. A 3 week double post? Sheer genius.
                The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Originally posted by Chowlett
                  Now that has to be a record. A 3 week double post? Sheer genius.

Would almost HAVE to be a record!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

sounds fun - I'm downloading as I post ...

thanks guys SG[1]
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

way to go SG[1]
                      tell us then, did you like it?

Comment

From first glance - yes very much - but of course I now need to do some reading to find the depth of the game -- I'll come back after something more than create a character move three squares and wonder how to get out ...

SG[1]
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

well SG, have you made up you mind?

Comment

Last night I spent three hours in bed with my mother's laptop... playing ADOM all the time. God, it's an addictive game. I have a level 18 gray elven mindcrafter (mindcraft r0x0r!!!1!11) with the Sword of Nonnak, an amulet of perseverance {wi+3} plus a boatload of other amulets (protection from constructs/undead/petrification/death rays/probably something else I've forgotten, rapid healing, Ankh, amulet of the eye, light, protection +5, some other ones) and I'm switching between them like crazy. It's like that I start with the amulet of perseverance to do damage, then switch to the Ankh for better luck defending myself, and then use the rapid healing amulet to heal the damage. Not to mention wearing the amulet of protection against undead when confronted by ghosts (had a tension room of those in Dwarven Halls, BTW) and the amulet of protection from constructs against stone golems (then again, with coward + mental shield they wouldn't be able to damage me anyway).

I'm doing quite finely, although I've had to save/load-cheat a few times. Mostly because there's a river just below Dwarftown that I didn't have the means to bridge (not being able to get logs from anywhere) before. Now, after rummaging around in the animated forest (hint: don't use wands of lightning, they count as fire magic) I could theoretically bridge it but I sold my hatchet (mm... blessed hatchet of the sun... too bad I don't have much axe skill) and it'd cost >2000GP to get it back. I've got level 11 mastery of sword, have finished Thrundarr's quests and descended down to Khelavaster (due to reading spoilers, however, I want to find an amulet to give to him before descending further). At the moment I'm a bit in the between of everything - I have a ring and crown of ice plus level 2 fire resistance, but am not tough enough to take on the ToEF, I can just barely kill a steel golem (my 160 MP aren't enough for disposing of one at once, though) but DarkForge is only a dream for me, I could try descending
                            to Assassin's Guild but don't have a means to find the stairs down. My current plan is to scum levels 9 and 10 of the ID until I find a RoDS, then find out what happens when I give an AoLS to Khelavaster. IIRC it's also possible to bump upon fire drakes there (not sure, though) so I might be able to get fire resistance level three and actually try the Tower.

BTW... greater demons are fun . Quickling kings aren't (1000 base speed, **** me harder!).

Comment

anyone been playing ADOM lately?
                              I'll think I'll give it a go when I get back to Uni. after holidays.

here's a link to a good hint-site
                              Thinker's ADOM: http://www.aleph-null.com/adom/

Comment

Working...
                              X