New games, should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New games, should I buy?

I was shopping with my parents the other day and walked into a Software, Etc. store. Two games peeked my interest: Capitalism II and Europa Universalis II. I have the original Capitalism Plus and enjoyed it a lot. Never played the original Europa Universalis, but read the glowing review from Games Domain. Looks pretty interesting and possibly challenging, which is what I'm aiming for (sick of pushover AIs).

Please comment on either game. Are they worth it? Thanks.
    "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Capitalism II is interesting, but more than anything it is a graphics makeover for the original. True, there are some new features and options but I don't feel they are sufficient for a full new game. IMO, this isn't really Cap 2, more like Cap Plus Plus. (C++? )

John-SJ

Comment

EU2 is a great game. I got it for xmas and played it nearly nonstop until i burned out on it a few weeks ago... I find it very interesting and engaging, moreso than civ3...

Comment

On the other hand, I tied the original Europa Universalis for a few hours before I wiped it off my HDD.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I also deleted EU only to try it 'for real' a few weeks later. EU is *not* a game you fire up and get impressed with its bells and whistles. What's more challenging up front is that the game mechanics aren't initially very intuitive.

However, if you stick with it (I almost never allow a game so much time, but I'm glad I did), you'll find a very rewarding gaming experience. Again, I need to emphasize: EU is not the kind of game you load up for a few hours of good graphics and some kind of 'ending.' It's a game the mimics some elements of the sprawling, often chaotic nature of history itself. If that doesn't excite you, stay away.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Buy GC...

(just trying posting on the other forums... silly that my profile says that I had never posted, since all of my posts so far are in the off-topic forum)
            Fetissinsä kullakin...

Comment

Re: New games, should I buy?

Originally posted by Jules
              Two games peeked my interest:
              I hate to do it, particularly in an On Topic thread I don't have the knowledge to contribute to, but that should be "piqued".

BTW - Yin, nice Avatar!
              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
              "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                  Again, I need to emphasize: EU is not the kind of game you load up for a few hours of good graphics and some kind of 'ending.'
                  Stop guessing what I did.

What happened was after I finished the tutorial, I tried my hands on the Fantasia scenario. However, dispite my max'ed out stability rating in three attempts my home provinces were occupied by rebels every single time.

That didn't seem realistic to me.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

What happened was after I finished the tutorial, I tried my hands on the Fantasia scenario. However, dispite my max'ed out stability rating in three attempts my home provinces were occupied by rebels every single time.

That didn't seem realistic to me.

You played the tutorial and fantasia?? Play the grand campaign!
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Actually, I wasn't talking about you in particular, but if it hit a soft spot...

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                        You played the tutorial and fantasia?? Play the grand campaign!
                        I was going to do that, but not after my three attempts at a Fantasia scenario all became fiascos.

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
                          Capitalism II is interesting, but more than anything it is a graphics makeover for the original. True, there are some new features and options but I don't feel they are sufficient for a full new game. IMO, this isn't really Cap 2, more like Cap Plus Plus. (C++? )
                          I heard that they now have stock and property markets, and the computer players are much smarter.

Comment

I was going to do that, but not after my three attempts at a Fantasia scenario all became fiascos.
                            Frankly, I don't think you can say anything about EU with out even trying the grand campaign or other such scenarios. They are the real purpose of the game, Fantasia is more of a "extra" or "goodie" then anything else.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I heard that they now have stock and property markets, and the computer players are much smarter.
                              Cool.

Anybody else know of other new features in Cap 2?
                              "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Working...
                              X