No announcement yet.

SimGolf: I eat my words ... it's FUN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i seem to have mastered making strategic and challenge holes, but what constitutes a classic? My "Jacqueline" hole is listed as a classic, but it's a 175 yard par 3 that anybody that can hit a high backspin shot can birdie

oh and my golf pro hit 4 eagles on 12 holes for a 34
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ColdWizard; February 14, 2002, 03:29.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• I think 'classic' means: "Not much to see here." It's like the time this girl asked me: "Am I pretty?"

I said: "You have a classic face."

"Really?!" she said with much joy. "That's soooo sweet!"

Never mind that classic could mean, oh, about a million things.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• OK, since no one will respond to my mispelled demo thread, I'll post here

I finally played it. It messed up my screen. I had to adjust my monitor in order to see all areas of the playing screen. It seems to automatically adjust my resolution very low. I really don't like that. I have to reset it after I exit the game. Of course I couldn't figure out how to exit the game. So I had to ctr-alt-del to get out of it. And it set my color depth to 16 bits. my screen resolution was less than 800 X 800 (I can't remember the numbers)

It also has messed up the graphics of my internet explorer for some reason.

Really weird.

I hope there is no problem with the regular game. I might be buying it. It's so silly that I get a kick out of animated little computer generated golfers liking my course. I felt so good when they loved it . Of course I was on easy. Then I bought that easter island stone thingy and wasted all my money .

Has anyone had problems with the screen and resolution of this game?

Comment

• I also had problems with the demo.The game works pretty darn good for me though.Just minor "sim game" glitches.

CLASSIC..I'm pretty sure it has to do with reaching certain #s on holes in the different categories(imagination,accuracy and length)

I notice you can edit the comments each player makes in a variety of situations.As well as their names,looks,personality.I can see making some funny stuff with this

Here is my first hole at my first 18 hole Grand Slammer.It has a fun rating of 353% for some reason.Its pretty straight forward....notice the "ball" on the pinstick(you can see it better in the shadow).This is used in golf to tell the player if the pin is forward,middle or back of the green.High for back,low for forward.Nice attention to detail.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Smash; February 14, 2002, 06:16.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

• Dissident: as for exiting the demo, it automatically resets your display settings when you exit properly, by pressing the esc key (i didn't figure it out until after Steve Clark told me how to skip the end credits in the full game).

Comment

• according to the manual a classic challenges all three skills, perhaps my hole length is easy to reach but not too easy?

minor imran and yin update:
              being paired off definitely brought out the best in them, since then imran's shot a 44 thru the first 10 holes and yin was last shooting a 33 after the tee shot on the 7th

Comment

• Looking at the holes of yourself and Yin it looks like classic needs to be at least 1.0 in all 3 categories.
                Length is a no brainer.Move back a tee or move forward the pin.
                Accuracy-tight fairways and small greens
                imagination-this one is not so clear but providing at least 2 ways to play the hole and score par is a good place to start.Something in the middle of a fairway works..."hmmm, should I go left or right?".."go long or play safe?"
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

• That makes sense. Nice work. You are quickly becoming the Master Designer, I see.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

• Well,I don't know about that, but I sure am having fun with this game.

Heres to no frustration factor

Comment

• the manual says that fade and draw shots are generally taken by imaginative golfers. so holes that limit direct approaches would be more imaginative?

if that I M Picky guy doesn't show up again soon, i'm gonna rip out some of my holes to try for this classic thing

Comment

• Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted on Apolyton, but it's funny that it's regarding SimGolf rather than Civ3...

A hole reaches "Classic" status when it has at least a 1.0 rating in all three skill categories.

A fan website that has some great tips and inside info (some from Sid himself) can be found at :

Specifically, there are many cool tidbits addressed on getting Fun ratings/skill ratings/happiness modifiers, etc. For example, creating water on squares with paths commonly followed by your golfers and then turning those bridges into scenic bridges for bonus fun rating... and then using those bridges as stepladders for elevation changes to avoid getting unhappiness messages for changing altitudes.

Or how to speed up play by removing excessively utilized ball-washers and snack stands (and strategically placing these things and benches in the spots between holes that aren't congested on your courses).

Or how to increase the length skill rating of your holes (the trickiest of the 3 for the neophyte imho) by using the shot analyzer (keypad "/") to penalize players without length/reward players with the length trait.

SimGolf is great fun and highly recommended. I can't wait for the new patch.

/willko.

Comment

• Willko: Good link. I got these from there...

Breather: No skill needed. No skill over .50
                          Freeway: Length Skill (Only Len > .50)
                          Precise: Accuracy skill ( Only Acc > .50)
                          Creative: Imagination Skill (Only Img > .50)
                          Challenge: Lenth and Accuracy > .50, Imagination < .50
                          Heroic: Length and Imagination > .50, Accuracy < .50
                          Strategic: Accuracy and Imagination > .50, Length <.50
                          Classic: Length, Accuracy, and Imagination all > 1.0

Comment

• I discovered an interesting bug in he demo last night. Sometimes, although not very often, and it seems more prevalent if from a tee shot on the edge of the map; sometimes a golfer's ball will stop mid-flight. Now this means the golfer won't go to play his next shot, and everyone bunches up behind him.

Now, normally, this would be a bad thing, but I've discoverd that
                            a) a Buddha placed near a bench appears to turn it into a love-bench, and
                            b) anyone sitting on a bench gets a happiness boost

Upshot was, I had about 10 or 20 people milling about there, gradually getting happier and happier, until my little two-hole course had a fun rating of 500+
                            Attached Files
                            The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                            Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                            All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                            "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

• That's hilarious! You should send that saved game in for kicks...

Comment

Working...
                              X