No announcement yet.

SimGolf: I eat my words ... it's FUN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like there's a patch out for the tournament problem already.

Last night I had another go and was delighted to get my first top-18 rated hole for a real mean par 5. now all I have to do is figure out why Gary Golf can par it and occasionally birdie in practice sessions but almost invariably double-bogeys at tournament time. It must be the pressure
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold

...figure out why Gary Golf can par it and occasionally birdie in practice sessions but almost invariably double-bogeys at tournament time. It must be the pressure

When launching a tournament there are 3 options that may be affecting this... all of them serve to make the holes a bit more difficult for the seasoned pros who will be participating.

Grumbold - Are you using the roll greens flat and smooth (sic) option? This may up the number of putts required, depending upon your putting skill... Note that I have heard a complaint about this particular option creating weird putting situations where it takes 5 putts to make it even with high skill in putting, and we will be looking into it to make sure that it works as it should.
      Michael Fetterman
      Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

Yes, I'm playing the demo and hadn't tried turning off such options as 'roll them flat' since I assume that was more of an exhortation to your groundkeepers to get the course looking as trim as possible for the cameras

Most noticable has been the tee-off driver shot. On my opening par 5 I can normally slot between the rockface and the tree every time. Make it a tournament and the SimPressure seems to get Gary Golf (and all the other seasoned pro's) to hash it up, or go in the water on their next shot. It's quite hilarious to see when most of the course regulars do better than that on a daily basis.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
          I don't know if the demo allows you to do this, but if you want to do a championship on my courses, I'll include them. Scorpion Cove is the first course I made, and Country Kaincide is the second. (provided I zipped the right files, they go in the /themes/championship directory)
          No, they are not compatible. There is a 9k difference in file size and when you look at them on the championship list they claim to have over 2000 holes and a truly amazing fun factor. Needless to say, they don't load

Those of us using the demo should be able to swap our 3 hole courses though ....
          H.Poincaré

Comment

I think I might just go out on get SimGolf... heh, even before Wizardry 8 .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It is very fun, but I noticed a *much* bigger problem than the putts (which still went screwy for me) in tournament mode:

1) You don't collect greens fees during tournaments. That's O.K., of course, if the tournament finishes.

What? You asked.

Yes, my last tournament never finished. A group of participants simply walked around the tee for months as my cash, which started at +30,000 dropped to -$120,000 and the board eventually got on me for having negative cash for 2 years straight.

That's a game breaker. Any word on that one?
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way Yin, because my opinion of you has greatly increased since the days of our verbal sparring.

But I just wanted to mention that you also had an initial enjoyment of Civ3 which wore off. So the real indication of how you feel about the game will be more evident in the following week or later.

Comment

I've not found that one after quite a lot of demo games. Maybe it never crept into the real thing? I'm not going to go chasing SimGolf forums until the game is released in the UK. I've got too many sites to read already for games I am playing
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

The game comes in a relatively tiny box!

Its about time.Now, I know the publisher is just cheap and not trying to save the enviroment,but its a good sign.
                    It really stands out on the shelves.This little dwarf of a box,flanked by mega boxes and special tins and what not.

Costs more than Civ3

I bought it
                    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                      Yes, my last tournament never finished. A group of participants simply walked around the tee for months as my cash, which started at +30,000 dropped to -$120,000 and the board eventually got on me for having negative cash for 2 years straight.

That's a game breaker. Any word on that one?
                      Guess you really should have invested more in ball-boys.

Although I've never heard of any golfer spending a couple of years searching for a lost ball before.
                      Maybe it was a personal favourite that he just couldn't afford to lose.

Comment

Pembleton: No offense taken. Though I think I was clear that the thing I was most impressed with about Civ3 was the AI that could launch attacks overseas under carrier support. I'm still impressed with that, and I said clearly then that I would need to do more testing on the things that bothered me.

As for SimGolf, I want to highlight that this is NOT a primary game for me but a game I seem to enjoy playing when I want a break from gaming ... if that makes sense. While I don't ever see myself putting SimGolf on my Top List, I am, nevertheless, quite surprised at how well it turned out! And I can see lots of people who enjoy Sim type stuff going nuts for it. Remember that I don't like Sim stuff at all, so for me to like the game as much as I do is pretty significant.

This tournament issue, though, is troublesome ... and I hope that gets more attention than have the problems in Civ3.

ravagon: LOL! Could be, except they weren't looking for the ball. They were refusing to tee-off! Instead, they walked around in circles by the tee, got tired (and annoyed), and ripped into both my fun rating and my finances! Not cool.

Maybe I can hire a drill sergeant?
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I, too, downloaded the SimGolf demo and played it for about an hour this weekend (I needed a break from the intensity of Medal of Honor). While I look some of the older Sim-games, I absolutely detest anything and everything about The Sims. But I also like golf games and most of Sid's games, so I tried it out. It does have a hook in that it presents you with lots of informational screens to analyze (that's one of the main things I look for in strategy games). However, there are two concerns:
                          1. All of the terrain in the demo is 2D flat. Does the released version has terrains that appear to be rolling or hilly?
                          2. There has to be a way to turn off those stupid, insipid comments that the golfers make, isn't there???? Please tell me that I can. If I want to gauge player reactions, I'll go to the proper report but don't clutter up the game with "personalities" and "characters" that I have no interest in viewing. This obviously comes from The Sims, which imho, is the worst concept for a game ever. I just don't want to be subjected to it in SimGolf.

Comment

Differnet tracks of lands can be lumpy and bumpy but generally you do that yourself.Its in "buildings" iirc.There are 3 different "elevate" buttons.You can raise and lower anything,

Yes you can turn them off in preferences.Might not be in the demo.
                            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Thanks, Smash, I'll be picking this title up tonight.

Comment

This stupid,pointless,easy "game" is fun

5th green at Ravenwood....someone familiar is playing...
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Smash; February 6, 2002, 18:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X