SimGolf: I eat my words ... it's FUN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimGolf: I eat my words ... it's FUN!

When I'm wrong, I admit it. From the very first announcement of SimGolf until yesterday when I got a crack at the game, I thought Sid was nuts to take so little part in Civ3 to go off and do a Sim Golf thing. Two things I hate:

Sim-anything and
    Golf!

Lord. Just seeing the two words put together in SimGolf gave me stomach pains. I mean, this is Sid!

So since it is Sid, I gave it a try. Any other designer I would have ignored. As it turns out, the game has tons of character and just an overall sense that Sid really enjoyed making the game. From the perfectly chosen elevator-like music and splash screens to the amazingly intuitive interface ... fun!

And the graphics are quite nice. Tiny waves roll up the shore. Trees don't just get pasted in when you place them: They start bare and quickly pop in leaves. Various wildlife doesn't just start on your course: They fall out of the sky like tiny bombs when you create the right conditions.

Most importantly, the gameplay makes sense: You need to vary your hole designs otherwise golfers get bored. The various goodies that you can put on the course, things like benches and snackshops, all make sense and correlate well in the game world. Even the golfers react intelligently to the hole they are about to play: "Should I play this safe or try to shoot over the rocks?" -- things you wouldn't expect the comp to realize just from the design of the hole.

In other words, some massive attention to detail went into this thing. Add to it that you have your own golf-avatar that occasionally gets challenged to play on the very course that you designed (surprisingly, the fact that you don't control his putting or swing in any important way -- you just select the type of shot -- actually adds to the ease and fun of play, in pure Sid style), well, it's brilliant, actually.

Keep in mind that I doubt I'll ever consider the game revolutionary or anything, but I do have to say this: Sid took the absolute best of the Sim and golf ideas and created something so polished and so fun that after many years you can finally see what Sid can do when he enjoys his subject material.

Bravo, Sid! Honestly.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Too bad he'll never see a dime from you though huh software pirate?
    MOHonor - PJP

"Better ingredients make a better pizza" - Papa John

Comment

I always buy games that deserve my money. SimGolf is one such game. And I have no idea where the hell you get this pirate garbage from ... oh, I forget, you're the guy who doesn't think it's possible to buy 2 games a month.

Well, here's some news: This is a GAMING forum visited by GAMERS. Get a clue.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

By the way, here's a hot link to get some free SimGolf action. I don't normally reveal my sources, but for you, baby: The Link.

Comment

MOHonor: Where did you go? Are you busy pirating the demo, like I did? LOL!

Comment

You sure enjoy talking, don't you?

Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

On a public forum dedicated to gaming? Sure. Hey, have you pirated the demo yet, Osweld? Or are you too busy trolling?

Comment

You know I could just sit here and continue to watch you freak out but I wanted to see just how stupid you were and did a search for you and for warez. Viola.

yin26
                Emperor
                Work in Seoul, Korea. From Los Angeles.

Apr 1999

09-01-2002 04:34

Yep, and Warez is buyer's insurance. All I can say is that if a company conditions me to treat them like thieves, I will.

Yin, you're amazing. Nine times out of ten, you're a complete *******. Yet, sometimes you say(err... type) something insightful enough to prove again your worth to the community. I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you. -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

My conclusion is that you're pretty stupid.
                MOHonor - PJP

"Better ingredients make a better pizza" - Papa John

Comment

Ooooh, Big Man! LOL! My stance on Warez has been pretty clear. I even posted a thread asking people not to play pirated copies of Civ3 and instead simply play a friend's copy first or just not play at all.

The fact is, despite the fact that Warez *IS* an insurance option in this day and age, I so far haven't used it myself. I don't even have MP3s. Then again, when a company like Infogrames sues gamers for modding the game instead of working out a solution, I have no sympathy for them when their games get downloaded illegally.

The fact remains that you seeminly got jealous or psycho (or both?) when you saw the list of games I played in 2001. What's wrong? Can't you afford that many?

Well, I certainly can. I will certainly continue to buy many games and talk about them.

Barring that, your stalking and totally unfounded crap never ceases to amaze me. Consider yourself part of an elite group:

The Yin Groupie!

Congratulations! I can't wait for your next love letter.

By the way, as with most people who have no leg to stand on and must, therefore, skew the truth anyway they can, Mr. Dishonor here failed to give you the context of my quote. Here was the post to which I was replying:
                  It's just marketing, plain and simple. Video games and other software companies are almost forced to take this approach to make money. It's not like Coke... "Buy our product, the same one we've been selling for years," it's "this is the hottest new title and it renders all past titles obsolete." Honestly, would you buy something that says on the box: "This game will have a sequel out in four months that will render this product unnecessary for you to own?"
                  After which I say, essentially, Warez can be a great equalizer when companies take such an attitude. I stand by that now, though I would rather boycott such companies than waste time playing their games.

Gee, doesn't it suck when life isn't so black and white, Dishonor? It's o.k. Give yourself time to grow up a bit. I'll wait. LOL!
                  Last edited by yin26; January 29, 2002, 01:20.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                    I don't even have MP3s
                    What do you have got against MP3?

After all, it's just a way to compress music. It's good for us geeks who need to stare at a computer all day. We can just burn all our favourite songs on one CD for the whole day.

It doesn't have to be illegal, you know.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

"Illegal" MP3s!

Comment

Glad to hear it .

So is Sid still a Game God, Yin?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed. Granted, this is not a serious hack'n'slash or some heart-pumping FPS, but it beats the hell out of Tetris, and I mean that in the best way. Tetris was one of those games that you'd fire up when you didn't want to do anything else but relax. I get those same feelings with SimGolf, and it really brings to light Sid's design philosophy of substituting complexity for a greater sense of fun.

I suppose, also, if all the 'character' were taken out of the game it would be a lot more dull, but it's just full of nice little details. I look forward to seeing how long I keep it on my computer. Perhaps it's destined to stay as a break between other games?

I should also say that Will Wright's influence is so clear, and the Maxis team of artist Sid used really did a bang-up job.

Comment

So how does it feel to be a demo pirate ?
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I feel so bad that I'm thinking of cancelling my order on chips and bits. That'll show me!

Comment

Working...
                              X