No announcement yet.

Kohan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Kohan is that good? I really hadn't even considered looking at the game, but I need my "New Game" fix, and since SEIV Gold and MOO3 are yet a ways off..

I think I will do some Kohan research.

Comment

It really doesn't play like many real time games, especially with regards to unit management. It's just a kick to see some 50 diverse military units clash against another 50, but I'm really only directly controlling 7 or so individuals. I have rarely found any RTS where most of my time isn't spent drag-selecting. Kohan however is such a game. The only thing that I think needed some extra work is the way it displays your resources. The negative numbers don't indicate any real problem, just that you're paying gold to make up the difference. A small fault in an otherwise magnificent tutorial..

Jeff

Comment

I went and got the latest Kohan.. Ahriman's Gift.

What a fun game! It is quite unique from other RTS games (and I have played a lot of them). Easy to manage, and just a blast combining different units to form specialized companies and regiments. And you're right: the micromanging and click-infestation is negligeble.

Thanx for the heads-up on this one!

Comment

The company construction stuff has all the addictiveness of a CCG, but with smaller decks and lots of them. Once I found the halberd/cleric/mage combo, I must have depended on them for a quarter of the solo campaign. But as I started understanding how the provided benefits work (that they need to be in support slots, etc), I started using a stable of company compositions. One favorite was the ranger/paladin/archers. These guys could speed through forests like they weren't there, attack at range, and get a bonus against shadow creatures. Not to mention the paladin was like a lawnmower if anyone managed to get close.

Jeff

Comment

Kohan & Rts

I don't dislike RTS, I just generally hate the implementations. I did like Kohan very much but still, as in all RTS's, just when you've built your kingdom up you have to throw the game away because you won. There isn't even a hall of fame to remember your efforts by.

Most RTS, and even to some extent Kohan, primarily uise the old O&O strategy which makes for rather repetative games. (out produce and overwhelm)

Ps, he may be threadjacking a bit but it was limited to a legitimate comparison so technidcally he can be guilt free.

To put things in perspective, if you really want to try a deadly awful game get a copy of 'Merchant Prince II'.

Comment

Working...
            X