Wizardry 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osweld,

Some of the reasons are historical. Wizardry started life a long time ago, about the same time as Ultima - that's at least 20 years. Some races and professions are vintage, legacy from the first game, the rest from W6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge, appeared at least 10 years ago.

I personally have no problems with the races, and your characters can change professions as long as they satisfy the basic requirements of any given professions. Since your characters gain attribute points as they gain level, so that's not a problem.

As for the story, you have to release that W8 is the last of the trilogy started with W6. For long time veterans like myself, it sounds fine. Even if you don't like the story, the game itself is quite nicely balanced, as far as I can tell.

The other thing that really bugs me is the first person view and awkward and slow combat - especially when you are playing 6 character out of one set of eyes.
    The first person view is fine. Remember RPG's should tell stories, and most stories (novels) are told through one set of eyes, be it first or third person. It may take some getting used to.

What kind of combat are you thinking of?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      The first person view is fine. Remember RPG's should tell stories, and most stories (novels) are told through one set of eyes, be it first or third person. It may take some getting used to.
      I wouldn't mind first person view if I had only 1 character, but the 6 characters are crammed into the same set of eyes - and you can't so much as see them. That along with out knowing anything about the history, or setting - or even being able to write biographies really wrecks the characters for me, it's just a ranger, fighter ect... infact, that's even what they indicate the character with, the class.

Reminds me of the old days, when I was a munchkin. I'd played D&D cRPGs with characters who's name would be "Fighter 1" "Fighter 2" "Cleric 1" Ect...

What kind of combat are you thinking of?
      I don't know how you could do it in a first person atmosphere- but the one they use is very slow (waiting for all of the monsters to move seperately) and very awkward (abstract player formations, and the entire party has to move together as some sort of clump)

Oh, and RPGs shouldn't tell stories, they should allow you to create stories - otherwise it's just an adventure game. Granted, that isn't always easy to do on the computer, so atleast a game can have alot of openess and pathways through a linear plot... like the Bhaal Spawn series. But I haven't played wizardy 8 much, so I don't know if that is the case or not.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
        I wouldn't mind first person view if I had only 1 character, but the 6 characters are crammed into the same set of eyes - and you can't so much as see them.
        How do you think this should be represented? There are real physical limitations, that you are seeing into this world through your monitor, which is an awfully limited window. If you are going to divide up the display area further you aren't going to see anything.

That along with out knowing anything about the history, or setting - or even being able to write biographies really wrecks the characters for me, it's just a ranger, fighter ect... infact, that's even what they indicate the character with, the class.
        That's because you didn't start the trilogy at the beginning You'll miss out a lot of the story. I am not sure but the website may have the background info you want.

My characters harked all the way from Bane of the Cosmic Forge.

Reminds me of the old days, when I was a munchkin. I'd played D&D cRPGs with characters who's name would be "Fighter 1" "Fighter 2" "Cleric 1" Ect...
        I had seen that.

I don't know how you could do it in a first person atmosphere- but the one they use is very slow (waiting for all of the monsters to move seperately) and very awkward (abstract player formations, and the entire party has to move together as some sort of clump)
        You can change formation in the middle of combat so that's not a big problem that your characters can't move individually like you can with paper and pencil RPG games.

Monsters moving individually seems to be a reasonable decision to me. You can always upgrade your computer so they move faster

Oh, and RPGs shouldn't tell stories, they should allow you to create stories - otherwise it's just an adventure game.
        RPGs and adventure games aren't that distinct. In fact, a lot of games have elements of both.

Granted, that isn't always easy to do on the computer, so atleast a game can have alot of openess and pathways through a linear plot... like the Bhaal Spawn series. But I haven't played wizardy 8 much, so I don't know if that is the case or not.
        It's supposed to be completely non-linear with multiple beginnings and endings.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I wouldn't mind first person view if I had only 1 character, but the 6 characters are crammed into the same set of eyes - and you can't so much as see them. That along with out knowing anything about the history, or setting - or even being able to write biographies really wrecks the characters for me, it's just a ranger, fighter ect... infact, that's even what they indicate the character with, the class.

Yeah, same as I thought. I read this review on it where it brought up this point, saying in a multi party game, the isometric view of Baldur's Gate and Fallout were the best, and the first person view is best if you have one player.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Yeah, same as I thought. I read this review on it where it brought up this point, saying in a multi party game, the isometric view of Baldur's Gate and Fallout were the best, and the first person view is best if you have one player.
            That's just subjective. Both have advantages and drawbacks.

Any "aerial" view (this includes isometric view) is problematic when the party is in a dungeon. There's also the problem of not being able to see far enough with these views so the party can easily be rushed by monsters. This is a problem shared by some old arcade games, particularly driving games.

Comment

The monsters are a lot smarter in this game.

First of all, they will try to surround your party instead of line up in a straight line Secondly, if they are blinded, etc., they'll retreat until the condition is lifted.

Comment

Well, I broke down and had the game delivered. I guess I couldn't wait until April to play. I hardly had time to even just mess with character creation and so forth, but I like very much the interface and super clean graphics. It seems they put a premium on making the game comfortable and easy to use and look at.

I only played about 10 minutes of the start of the game (now I'll start over with my own characters), but it brings back so many good memories! Sure, Ultima 9 had much better graphics -- once you got them to work properly -- but there's just something great about W8's 'old school' top-quality approach.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

How's work at the university? Not too taxing I gathered

I just don't like the way they changed how characters change professions

Comment

Thanks for asking. I start a new job in April, at which point my gaming time will plummet ... along with posting time. Poly rejoice!

Regarding changing professions, I haven't played hardly enough to even know where to start.
                    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

How's your progress in the game so far?

Comment

I just finished the Lower Monastery ... as you can tell, I'm taking my time. I'm still getting used to the combat model, but I think I have it figured out now and have a good formation in order. I'm happy to note that the use of magic is fairly important in stunning or paralyzing enemies, etc. Adds some nice strategy.

Comment

Take your time. The controls are decent but not top rated, so you need to get use to them.

There are things that could have been done to make controlling combat so much easier. Small things. For example, make walking the default setting with a button for running. Another example, if the party has killed the first target, the program can interrupt the execution and ask you to retarget your remaining attacks instead of doing it automatically.

Comment

I love the game. The plot is detailed but it is the different character voices that I think really make it work. Every single one of them have different things to say in different situations, some triggered uniquely by specific NPC's or encounters. Unlike the BG games where I got sick of endless "buttkicking for goodness" and Boo repetitions, in Wizardry it actually works. Especially the comments that come out when things go wrong. Many of them are genuinely funny in a way that I've not seen for years.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Yeah, some of the voice overs are funny, various PCs and NPCs have distinct personalities.

My elf bishop would say, "Shoo, shoo, go away!" when he spots monsters.

Comment

bg

I remember when wizardry was a dos game and I thought a mouse was something cats ate.

You really like Baulders Gate? Eccch, it forces you to do everything as the programmers wanted to make sure you see Everything they wrote. It was just horribly constraining. Gender is an asthetic choice, really, so pc. So many things are just immune to anything you do and give you no choice but to follow the 'story' line. The additions are even worse, there is more program control of your direction and many more entities that are simply immune to anything you can do. Basiclally it is an animated book with some RPG elements.

Wizardry 8 is available here but only in Russian, which even at only 100rubles isn't worth tyring to dicypher.

Comment

Working...
                                X