Wizardry 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizardry 8

So, I'm a BIG fan of the Fallout series, Baldur's Gate (1 and 2), Planescape: Torment. Basically all the big Interplay ones. I heard Wizardry 8 is supposedly very nice. I DLed the demo and it seems fun, but I wonder, I know it is a lot of combat, but is there any story involved? Do you get in depth conversations? Have to decide what you want to say to the person in order to make him act in different ways? Or is it all just fighting, fighting, fighting?

And any of you that have it... would you recommend getting it?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

With any luck, I'll be getting back to you early next week.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

The 'friend' again?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

In a way. I asked a co-worker now on business in the States to pick up a copy for me if he has time. My fingers are crossed.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Both Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Wizardry 7: Crusader of the Dark Savant are excellent RPG's with a solid story. CDS follows BCF, and Wizardry 8 is supposed to follow CDS. If so, it should have a great story too.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That's good.. thanks UR.

I just wonder if there is, you know, conversational choices and non-linearity in the game, and not just combat, combat, combat!

Comment

By the way, I meant to ask: How did you possibly stomach the combat in Fallout 2? Lord, it just draaaaags. Good plot and all that, but the combat just killed it for me. BG, though, was rather great in that regard.

Comment

I actually prefered the Fallout combat. With guns and all, a real time, pause command would have been scary! I like the pause turn by turn action point command of Fallout very much. I like the Fallout series much better than the BG one (though BG2 was on par with the Fallout games, I think).

I, for one, don't mind combat that draags, as long as there isn't too much of it .

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  I just wonder if there is, you know, conversational choices and non-linearity in the game, and not just combat, combat, combat!
                  Went to the Sirtech website and checked. Since W8 got great reviews from both Games Domain and Gamespot, it can't be all bad So I went out and bought it today. 3 CDs! Must have some great graphics I can also import my old characters from W7. Kick arse

It's supposed to be totally nonlinear. There were 3 endings to W7, so I reckon there are at least these many to W8.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Cool! Many CDs... mmmm

I finished the demo, and I really did like it. Actually had a conversation too, and I liked the text parser. It was actually very interesting, kind of fantasy based, but with mechanized technology stuff in the middle. Wierd.

Comment

Yes, it has modern technology mixed with magic. There's a class of characters called "gadgeteer," which allows you to "merge items into gadgets."

That's rather neat.

Comment

I bought the game yesterday. Installed the game and applied the latest patch. You'll need at least 1.2 GB free HDD space - 1.8GB for a full install.

First hint: CD#3 is required to play the game, not the first one. Strange, particularly the autorun offers a player the option of play. It then tries to load the game which will fail, confusing people to no end.

The graphics are very good, and the game is also very good so far.

Comment

Cool! Keep us updated. My co-worker said he went into some computer shop in the mall but couldn't find the game. Damn!

So I'll have to wait until March, when I head out to visit the family.

Comment

I'm not a fan

Granted, I haven't played it much...

But I am no fan of the race/class choices and the story (atleast, the intro) both seem quite cheesy to me. The other thing that really bugs me is the first person view and awkward and slow combat - especially when you are playing 6 character out of one set of eyes. Not a very good roleplaying atmosphere for me, not at all. Maybe it's an OK adventure game, though.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yes, it's a deliberate 'old school' approach with a twist. If you grew up playing Bard's Tale and, more recently, the Might and Magic stuff, then Wiz 8 is a Godsend.

Comment

Working...
                              X