RTS Processor Reqs, 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTS Processor Reqs, 2002

What sort of processor power will RTS/TBS games take to run in 2002? 2003-4? I'm guessing they won't hit the 1000MHz mark for a while. (hard to imagine Civ5 being that demanding) Think video cards will start to be the norm as well, and branch into other genres?

Curious.

I don't think developers will be pushing the envelope much since most gamers are reluctant to upgrade their computers just for a game. Some will, but most won't.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: RTS Processor Reqs, 2002

Originally posted by Wiglaf
      (hard to imagine Civ5 being that demanding)
      Try playing Civ 3 on a huge map and you'll change your mind. Sadly, this game is so poorly written that it would benefit tremendously from a 2Ghz+ processor right now.

Let's hope that Civ's shoddy programming style doesn't become the norm, or you will need that computer upgrade sooner than you think!

Apart from this one example though, you probably won't see a game that requires a 1Ghz processor for at least a year as long as you have a relatively high end video card.

John-SJ

Comment

(hard to imagine Civ5 being that demanding)

You're a wee one, are you not?
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Actually some 1.5 GhZ machines are faster than 2GhZ machines; it depends on the configurations and the RAM.

I remember in one magazine a 1.5GhZ atholon ran games faster than a 2GHZ Pentium.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
          X