Heroes Of Might and Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes Of Might and Magic

I have HOMM 1 and 2, and the demo for 3. I have this problem where I do good on the tutorial, but I keep getting conquered whenever I start a regular game. it seems that I'm expanding just fine, and all of a sudden someone shows up and conquers my home town. I get it back fast enough, but others come along and pound me until I'm gone.
    What is the best way to go? What am I doing Wrong? Do I need more heroes or towns, or just to knock over all the goodies first?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Hard to say. I usually don't expand that fast, go around knocking down the good stuff, have a stack defending my own castle and another one out wandering around, just in case some of the locations got run over by an opponent.

You have to find out where the other people are and knock them down first.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In HOMM 3, I always keep a force in my home town that is at least two week's worth of production, plus a decent hero to garrison.

The hardest part of the game, and the one that decides the outcome, is that first battle between decent heroes. If you can eliminate the enemy's good hero, any stack led by your good hero will be able to eliminate the stacks led by his low level replacement heroes. Then you start to go on the offensive.

Comment

Isn't this game up to version 8 already?
        I have 7...got pretty far, then my computer died.
        Haven't had the energy (or patient GF) to reload and start over.
        Try a newer version...they are cool.

------------------
        Bring it!

"How ridiculous and how strange, to be surprised by anything that happens in life." Marcus Aurelius (Meditations)
        Chief Revealer of Personal Foibles
        Life and death is a grave matter;
        all things pass quickly away.
        Each of you must be completely alert;
        never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

That's Might and Magic, the RPG. This is Heroes of Might and Magic, the light-hearted Strategy Game. Not to be confused with Crusaders of Might and Magic, the crappy fantasy-themed action game, or Legends of Might and Magic, the forthcoming MMRPG.

Comment

Another thing to do is to keep taking over your opponents special locations (gold mines, etc.). It serves two purposes. First, to decrease their income and increase yours. Second, if they send wimpy stacks out you can run those over, weakening them further.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Expert Earth Magic and Townportal. It saves the day for me.

------------------
              -bondetamp
              but you may call me sir.
              -bondetamp
              The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
              -H. L. Mencken

Comment

Thanks, guys, I'll have to try some of those. I know that I always get irritated when some enemy army comes and takes over my mines and mills and so forth.
                one of my big problems is having enough creatures to fill an army. There's always a bunch of low level critters (peasants, goblins, or their counterparts) but when a stack of 80 of them got wiped by a couple of unicorns, I lost interest in using their kind.
                If I build enough improvements (is that what they're called?), I don't have the cash to hire enough monsters. If I do have cash, it seems my hero uses up the monsters in various enounters so that he has to play around for a day or 2 waiting for the dwellings to refill.
                having enough monsters for a garrison and a travelling army seems to be a pain.
                Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

How large is HOMM2? I was wondering if I could find it anywhere as abandonware...

Comment

Father Beast,

Definitely wait for the high level monsters, the sole exception is Pixie (or whatever it's called) because of it's special ability (no retaliation).

You should always try to improve your towns, I ususally give rangestrikers the first priority. Also don't forget about the Wizard Towers.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Strangelove on 12-23-2000 09:49 PM
                      How large is HOMM2? I was wondering if I could find it anywhere as abandonware...

It's not abandonware I'm afraid. 3DO came out with HoMM: Millenium Edition that included HoMM 1, 2, and 3, plus HoMM 2: The Price of Loyalty.

[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited December 25, 2000).]

Comment

Damn. I really wanted that game, but it's nowhere to be found in BA.

Comment

C'mon, pay for the compilation. Three games and an expansion for the price of one. Great value for the money, really.

Comment

Youngsun,

Hi there. You have escaped from the land of Shogun, after being sucked into your monitor?

I have played some HoMM though I haven't played all that much to know the different between all the top level monsters, esp I had no idea that bone dragons suck

P.S. What about other ones from HoMM 3, such as archangels and archdevils?
                            [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited December 26, 2000).]

Comment

Long time no see Urban Ranger! you're now emperor(my gosh)

Once I played this game to death it's so addictive!

My tactics were simple. I always get the right resource for building upgrade for the earliest possible moment(sulfur for warlock etc.)then tossing my major force between hero to hero it's like a relay of force.

Whenever serious threat comes near my border I activate this relay system to deliver the force to the threatened sector quickly.

If I got right unit stack for major conquest I sent my best hero(usually Barbarians cuz they get higher attack bonus as they become more experienced)to enemy castles.

Black dragons rule and so cost-effective.
                              Titans are good but expensive.
                              Phoenix can be deadly with righr mix of magic but too fragile.
                              Vampire lords ,if you have many, can kill almost anything.
                              Bone Dragons suck.
                              Crusaders are just alright.
                              Cyclops? Hmmm just so-so.

You have to choose which hero is going to be your best hero and invest on him/her heavily then the investment will be paid off. Having many good heros are the key for easy victory.

Comment

Working...
                              X