This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Wars 2002

Anyone here remember Trade Wars 2002? It was an old ANSI BBS door that was written about ten years ago. It revolves around space trading and was one of the first real "multiplayer" games I can remember. IMHO, it's quite a lot of fun to play.

I ask because TW2002 now has a client-server version and Firaxis has picked up a license. I was considering putting a server up for public use, but wanted to find out how many folks would be interested in a primarily text-based, space trading type of game. If there is enough interest, I'll get it set up and get everyone more information on how to access it.

Dan
    Firaxis Games, Inc.
    Dan Magaha
    Firaxis Games, Inc.
    --------------------------

I used to play that! It was pretty cool. I'd play it again. As long the SYSOPS don't cheat and whack me each night like they used to in the old days
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Garth Vader on 04-12-2001 04:07 PM
      I used to play that! It was pretty cool. I'd play it again. As long the SYSOPS don't cheat and whack me each night like they used to in the old days

It'd be totally on the up and up... =) The new architecture of the game allows a bunch of people to telnet in and play simultaneously, so the game is at a much faster pace.

Anyone else even remotely interested??

Dan
      Firaxis Games, Inc.

Dan Magaha
      Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

I'm at least curious, though I have to say I've never played, or heard of it for that matter, but if it's strategy, I'm always interested.

John-SJ

Comment

I dug up some info for you guys. I believe this is what Dan is talking about:

quote:

Trade Wars 2002 has been around almost as long as the BBS itself. Over the years, it has remained a favorite among BBSers around the world. The game has changed through the years, from the early days of single-player play to the multiplayer action of the Major BBS version to this current version, the multiplayer DOS door that runs on nearly any (and EVERY) BBS. And thanks to advances in BBS software and the Internet, games that were once limited to local dial-up have turned into competitions between players from all over the world.

I decided to "borrow" this introduction from one of the literally thousands of games running out there.

A "Man on the Street" Introduction to Trade Wars

Welcome to Trade Wars 2002! This will prove to be a very challenging game for you. This is not your average shoot 'em up graphics intensive game, though it has become the most popular local BBS games, and now one of the most popular internet MUD (Multi User Domain) games in existence. The premise is simple. Survive, build up, and conquer.

This game, as I have already implied, is not by any means graphics intensive. There is some animation, but it’s largely text. This will at first probably turn most avid gamers off. Most games today try to make a name for themselves by stretching technology. This game stretches you. You'll need a good head for military strategy, you'll need to know how to make friends out of potential enemies, and you'll need to know how to keep a good flow of money coming in to your operation.

When you start off you will be given a small, well rounded, commercial trading ship, a planet, and a little bit of money. You'll want to go from port to port, buying and selling Fuel Ore, Organics, and Equipment, trying to make a profit so you can buy a better ship, more cargo space, and military equipment. Once you have enough resources, you can turn yourself into a purely military operation. Though some try to do this on their own, the best route is to form a corporation and take the universe as a team.

As with most MUD games, you may choose (by the deeds you do) whether you are good, or evil. Both sides have particular advantages, and both will allow you ways of making it to the top. Again, as with most MUD games, you will not simply enter the universe and start shooting... not if you're smart anyway. Usually, the best way to get killed on your first day is to go around threatening people, attacking a starport, and antagonizing Ferrengi and Aliens. You'll develop your ship, yourself, and your planet somewhat slowly at first, and then gain momentum.

The universe is laid out in individual sectors, you can move from one to the other by typing in the sector number to which you wish to move. The sectors connect with one another like a web, and it is best to find some dead end sector somewhere in which to hide. If you are a good trader, then you can find limited security in Fedspace. This is space (sectors 1-10 and Stardock) policed by federal agents (you will meet them, and know this... they are indestructible). Here, if you have less than 100 fighters on hand, you can stay the night without ever worrying if someone is going to hurt you.

Certainly sounds interesting. Dan, if you set it up and give us more details, there might be a sizeable group that would form.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I never played the original, but this sounds interesting...
            *grumbles about work*

Comment

Count me in as interested.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I guess I can't play since I have a mac
                Too bad, it seems very interesting
                [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited April 14, 2001).]
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

A game? Mainly text? This will be an interesting sidestep to the Interactive Fiction I normally play so count me in
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

I'm interested! I always loved strategy games! But i never conected to Telnet. I don't make the slightest idea about wat is BBS either. But I'm willing to learn! Go for it, Dan!
                    "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                    Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                    Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                    Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Count me in - we could have an Apolyton Corporation!
                      The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                      Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                      All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                      "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Umm...
                        http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...708152,00.html
                        *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 04-14-2001 11:24 AM
                          I guess I can't play since I have a mac
                          Too bad, it seems very interesting
                          [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited April 14, 2001).]

Actually, anyone can play as long as they have an internet connection... you either need a telnet client that supports ANSI graphics, or a browser that can do java (we have a java applet that works nicely also).

Dan
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.
                          Dan Magaha
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

In that case:
                            How do I conect whit Telnet
                            Computer and port?
                            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I've got the regcodes for both Gold and regular TW2002, as well as the server software, but have been spending my time playing on another friends' server.

You guys may be interested in SWATH, a great client for TW2002. It makes everything that much easier, as it has scripting support. A lot of the good features require registration (either that, or some l33t skillz :P)

Also: For those of you in Win9x, you may enjoy a small telnet client that actually supports ANSI coloring (makes it much more enjoyable). Just download this really small DOS telnet program: http://www.glonk.org/telnet.exe. If you want, hit ALT-ENTER in the DOS Prompt and it'll go full-screen. I think it's better than the Windows 9x default...

Edit: Forgot to mention the addy of the place I play. Telnet to yayislife.dhs.org, port 2002.
                              [This message has been edited by Glonk (edited April 15, 2001).]
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X