X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds good Dan! go for it!
    [This message has been edited by MarkG (edited April 15, 2001).]

Comment

I don't think I have played Trade War 2002, but in the bad old days of timesharing, I used to play a similar game on a VAX cluster.

Does anybody remembers a game just like Trade War where the players fly around systems trading, but there's also a war in the background between humans and a race called Thigold (or something like that)? It was a pretty good game.

BTW, I'll be interested.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I remember a game called VGA Planets that was very similar. It was a turn-based game where you colonized planets and extracted the ore from each planet for trade. Would be interested in getting into this game also. I'm not much of a web-board writer/reader, but I saw the link from the newsletter and gave it a try.

Please include me in any communication about playing a game!

-Jack
        -bflojack@aol.com

Comment

Well Dan, I play Earth 2025 and that is a text-based game...so sure, I'm willing to give it a go!

Comment

Ok, I think the server is set up and good to go. Have a look at the following URL:

http://www.firaxis.com/fun/tw2002

I intend to add a bunch of supplemental materials up there, including instructions and background on the game and why I think it's such a great game (to me it's the Nethack of space/trading games). But for now it gives you a way to get into the game. I've also set this page up to display current ranking of players, so you can come here to see how everyone is doing.

You can, of course, telnet directly into the server by telnetting to firaxis.com (port 2002), but if you aren't using a 100% ANSI-compatible telnet client it'll look pretty nasty and you should use the java applet we have.

So take a look and let me know if you have any questions or comments. I'll see you in space!

When you log in initially, enter the name you want to be known by in the game. Also don't forget your password, you'll need it to re-enter the game later.

Dan
            Firaxis Games, Inc.
            Dan Magaha
            Firaxis Games, Inc.
            --------------------------

Comment

The Mondragon Corporation Cooperativa should make a showing
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

i only got a username prompt, not a password one...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 04-19-2001 06:11 AM
                  i only got a username prompt, not a password one...

You don't get prompted for a password until you join a game for the first time and create a player in that game. So if you just read the helpfile, for example, you never created a "player" in a game, and thus don't need any password.

Dan
                  Firaxis Games, Inc.

Dan Magaha
                  Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

Times Blown up: 1

Comment

Aargh, shared MarkG's destiny.. Thankfully they payed enough for my puny escape pod that I could buy a new ship.

I really enjoyed playing this game 7-8 years ago and I still do.

Comment

I have a prblem.... Java doesn't work with my Internet Explorer for some reason, and I can't telnet in.... It just says that I can't connect to firaxis.com

Could anyone give me a hand?
                        *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Shadowstrike on 04-19-2001 06:58 PM
                          I have a prblem.... Java doesn't work with my Internet Explorer for some reason, and I can't telnet in.... It just says that I can't connect to firaxis.com

Could anyone give me a hand?

What telnet client are you using? It's probably not connecting on the correct port number, it needs to be port 2002. If you're using the standard Win95/98 telnet program, replace the word "telnet" in the port drop-down box with the number "2002", and set www.firaxis.com as the host name.

Unfortunately the default win95/98 telnet client is awful and doesn't do ANSI graphics well at all... I think Glonk had posted a small client program he said works well tho..

Dan
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.

Dan Magaha
                          Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

I can get on now, but every time I try to enter a name, I get 2 letters when I hit a key.... Anyway to avoid this?
                            *grumbles about work*

Comment

Shadowstrike,

On whatever client you are using, look for the options menu (or settings, or whatever) and set echo (or local echo) to off. On the default windows client this is found in the Terminal->Preferences menu.

John-SJ

Comment

I looked at the gameplay instructions for TW2002, they are LONG! Is there a downloadable/printable version of the instructions available? I hate long stints of reading at my computer.

BTW Shadowstrike, if you want to use the Java version to connect go to your IE Tools->Options menu, select the Advanced tab, scroll down to the "Microsoft VM" topic and enable the 3 Java check boxes. Quit and restart your browser and you should be set to go.

John-SJ

Comment

Working...
                                X