ALPHA CENTARI VS. C:CTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALPHA CENTARI VS. C:CTP

Which one will be better? Are both to be rated seperately? A hybrid of the two games, in order to produce a super-game??

Opinion?

p.s dont ***** me out for grammer

Um, isn't there like a whole forum to deal with this? Anyway, I think SMAC will be the best, without a doubt, only Sid could make the "true" sequel to Civ2

Imran Siddiqui
    Sid Meier fan
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sid didn't made Civ II, Brian Reynolds did, and who knew Brian before Civ II ?

Okay, okay Sid had a participation and his name was on the box.... and he got a check.... but for maybe each hour he putted on the game, Brian putted 100!

So the same arguments you are using for CtP (without Sid) could have been use for Civ II.

Comment

Personally, I'm waiting for reviews before I say C:CTP is better than SMAC or vice-versa. C:CTP certainly *looks* promising.

Comment

Umm... I havn't looked that much at C:CTP so right now I think SMAC will be the better game. Sid has to have some input on the game or else his name wouldn't be on the box right?

-Talon
          "I refuse to go with the flow"
          Another divine message by the God known as
          Talon

Comment

Actually Dan, Sid, in Civ2 as well as in SMAC, came up with the ideas. He said what to put in, what should be different. It is his idea, without him, Civ2 wouldn't have been as good as it was. Sid is the genius (not to demean Brian, or anything)

Imran Siddiqui
            Sid Meier fan
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Maybe Imran, but I don't think Civ II contained a lot of revolutionary ideas over Civ I.

Anyway, I am not much of a gamer but only a Civilization addict. For me only CtP can be considered a new Civ since Firaxis choose to do a Sci Fi game instead and not a Civ game.

Comment

I agree with Daniel. If SMAC was the only Civ type game coming out, I'd been pissed.
                I like the original idea of starting an empire on earth...not fighting a bunch of other clans for control of some weird planet out in space. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Well, what do you think sequel means?? CTP is based on the same exact game. My feeling is if someone tries another Civ game like Civ2 (best game of all time), like maybe Civ4. No one would buy it. People would get tired of the same thing without much variation (btw, I don't think Activison is putting much of a change in it as well). The "true" sequel is SMAC, starting from the end of Civ2.

Imran Siddiqui

Comment

C:CTP is not a sequel. It is an awesome refinement and extension. When it comes out, we will know if another refinement is needed. Think, we need a little more tech. before we can travel to a star, but a space station is actually happening.

Comment

Remember folks, we don't want a remake of Civ2. And Civ2 was pretty darn near perfect in what it chose to include and exclude. Some of the things CTP seems to be including were left out intentionaly by Sid, with good reason. SMAC is an innovative sequel with many new options, since its Sci-fi with a new setting (but still a veneer of realism since it is near-future not far future). CTP, while I hope is a good game and one I intend to buy eventually if the reviews are good, may easily have stepped over the line (remember the park ranger debates?). Anyone remember a game called "Destiny?" That had a lot of stuff Civ left out... too bad the game was horrible... CTP will be good, and a fair chance of being great, but it will not be a classic. SMAC will be great, and stands a good chance of becoming a classic.

-SnowFire
                      "Solidairty between SMACers in a hostile land is our greatest ally"
                      All syllogisms have three parts.
                      Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Bloody hell! I do not understand why you're all bothering to argure about this!

Both are turn based, empire building games.

Other than that, they're two different games. I don't think you can compare them - both have a different conceptual background.

Besides, everyone'll probably buy/steal/pirate both anyway!

cheers,
                        Q.

CVM INGENVO TRANQVILLITAS ANIMI

Comment

It looks like we all agree Civ II is the greatest game of all time, but I would not say it was near perfect, far from it....for all it's greatness it could have been better in many ways....

The strength of CtP is that they kept it close to Civ II and added a gamer's dream wish list, some of my favorites but not necessarly everyone's:

Multiplayer that won't take a month to play, Rewritable A.I. , Real Trade system, Real Combat system and a great interface.

SnowFire, I am not sure to what part of the game you are referring to (maybe besides combat, but then again I don't know a lot of player who tought loosing a stack of units was realistic), that Sid left out and that they have included but I would like to know.

Comment

Oh Lord Sid, I worship thee, who cares that all the work in Civilization II and SMAC is being done by thou apprentice, Brian Reynolds, thou art God.

*slap snap*

Oh, sorry there for a second, thought I was Imran

CCTP and SMAC both look promising and both are sporting innovative new features that make me drool. The Government-Economy selection system in SMAC is going to be a lot cooler than the "blanket-Political-Economies" in Civ games of yore. The wage selection system in Civ CTP is going to make micromanaging very fun for me. (raise wages, abolish slavery!)

The trade routes system in CTP looks good, I like the SMAC border thing and the UN. In short, both games are promising features that, if delivered, are going to knock any diehard Civver out. But one cannot judge until the games have come out.

I don't think the CTP Futurism is going to be as bad as many thing, though. And they're even hinting they'll change the Park Ranger name. (Clean Nuclear Missle would be just fine)

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see.

I do think, however, it's easy to draw a comparisan because both are based on the same genre.

What is it with the anti-CTP attitude of some SMACers? It looks like insecurity to me.

Red Trotskyite
                            POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
                            DOWN WITH CTPophobia!

Comment

Um, no Red. SMACers are abhorrent at CTp beacuse of the fear that SId's legacy will be trashed by silly units and the such. And Actually Sid's ideas made SMAC and Civ2, Brain Reyolds produced it, but Sid decided how the game was going to work. He decided what was to be different. Civ2 and SMAC were all Sid's vision, and, in fact, Sid already has another game mapped out, which will be given full attention by Brain after SMAC.

Imran Siddiqui
                              Sid Meier Defender

Comment

Working...
                              X