They both look like good games
    They are two different games

CVM INGENVO TRANQVILLITAS ANIMI

Comment

You don't speak for all "SMACers", Imran, so stop pretending. Who elected you their spokesperson? The village idiot?

Anyway, I'm a "SMACer." I'm sure I'll buy the game and I'll most likely enjoy it a lot. I'm sure I'll buy CTP as well and I'll also most likely enjoy it a lot.

My main confidence in CTP is that the designers seem to understand the importance of improving the efficiency of the interface. The interface improvements I've read about assures me that they're on the right track. I'm not so sure about SMAC in this department. But they'll probably come thru also. I expect both games to be very good.

Comment

Well, I'm one of those SMAC'ers, and I think CTP looks really good. I like the streamlining of trade and the promises of a diplomacy system that makes more sense than the old Civ2 system.

Oh, yeah: the silly units. I think they could do some of this stuff at a higher level of abstraction than the unit level, but that doesn't mean those units will ruin the game in any way. Slavery, terrorism, televangelism (believe me, they're part of the Illuminati's plans to take over the world!! ) and whatever are important parts of civilization, and shouldn't be ignored.

Anyway, Imran is definitely not the SMAC forums' spokesfella, and Sid & Brian are not gods (which is good, I hate gods).

DCA,
        Reality is the temporary resultant of the struggle between rival gangs of programmers.

Comment

I relay those insightful words of wisdom from Quirinus regarding this topic.

Comment

Who elected Imran as a spokesperson?
            WE DID!!!
            The BoS did!
            And if we wouldn't be in war with CWAL HV they would have elected him too!

I'm giving Imran my 100% support (except in case he says something stupid).

Jay
            a SMAC-fanatic

PS. Yup, I'm a fanatic. Don't even try to convince me to byu C:CTP.

Comment

Ok, now, most of you have either gona the CTP way or the SMAC way. I say, play CTP, and when you finish a game, play a game of SMAC. I know I like CTP a bit better than SMAC, and I will probably buy it. If I get the money, or maybe if the game comes my way, I'll get SMAC. I have nothing against either game, and I don't see how you can compare two games that have so many differences. Also, I have an idea.
              Why not go one further and COMBINE CTP and SMAC?? stick SMAC at the end of CTP and you have a game that goes into 10000AD!!!
              How's that for an idea??

Comment

Milan, it sounds like something that might happen a few years from now in some sort of 'classics' CD (or DVD), but not sooner, seeing as they are from two different companies.

Anyway, from what I know of C:CTP, and what I've played of SMAC, I would have to say that C:CTP looks to be the more innovative of the two. SMAC seems to be just a rehash of the Civ2, only on a different planet. Nothing very innovative here, as some have suggested. Of course C:CTP is also a rehash, one in which I hope to see more innovation than in SMAC.

Why is it, that after three games, Sid Meiers still hasn't added a 'declare war' option to the diplomacy screen?

Comment

You mean,... you still have to sneak attack ?! This gotta be a joke !
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

In SMAC the only way to avoid sneak attack(in order to start a war) is to demand things all the time. But this doesn't work always. Lots of times the AI wont attack you or declare a vendetta(as war is called in SMAC) whatever you say or demand, even if you have troops in his area.

Markos, Apolyton CS

Comment

Although there is not a "Declare Vendetta"... One of my favorite features is demanding cities. If you cross your enemies boarder w/ overwealming force and surround a city, you call up the faction leader and demand the city, frequently they'll give it to you. This is great.

Also in deplomacy, the AI players will surrender. It is the equivilant of an alliance but they are completely submissive.

Very cool.

As for the graphics, in the game there will be a gamma adjustment, and according to BR it will be added to the demo sometime in January.

Comment

I don't think I will be buying SMAC. The demo was a big disappointment.
                        I can only afford to buy one Civ2 replacement. It looks like CTP will retain more of the things that I liked about Civ2.
                        When will get a CTP demo?
                        " There are no scientific facts, only historical ones and they are all biased."

Comment

Biggles,

Unfortunately, I'm with you. I was just very disappointed with the demo. It had alot of promise, but there was something missing. Maybe it was rushed, because it felt SOOO rough around the edges. The really bad graphics didn't help much either. Although the story and sound were good.

I think CtP is going to the surprisingly better game of the 2.

Comment

cmon, jay, get with the program. You people go so far as to say you have a Spokesperson for a group of people that think that SMAC will be great. Who is the "we" - you and 10 other people if even that? cmon.

You dont have to buy ctp, thats fine with me 100%. But to see someone as "god" because they like the game you like, i dont think so.

btw, I thought that the SMAC demo was kinda cool. I do hope they incorporate the declare war option at the last minuete though or in a patch or something. The one thing that bugged me was where the flag on the unit is - its in the square up and to the left. you dont know how many times i moved the unit to the wrong square.

Just wait untill both games are out!

Comment

Both games are cool, but both are different. I've been playing Civ since it first came out. Civ 2 was a great improvement but it mainly had new tech and more units. CCTP seems to have alot more than that it is truly a new ver. of Civ. However SMAC is totaly different than civ. The objectives are different overall. So you can't compair the two. At least not properly. I would like to buy both but I am a die hard Civ fan so I'm going for C:CTP

Comment

Here is what I said in a post at the sidgames.com forum on what SMAC has over CTP (BTW, I am a game box collector):
                                "Well lets see, better AI (which is what a lot of people like), better box (by far), units you would take a little more seriously than Eco Ranger , more costomizability (by far), more replayibility (by far), better multiplayer features (by atleast twice as much), OSI, better box (by far), Chris McCubbing doing the manual, "Balls" , Ely doing cutscenes, better tech support, better box (by far), many addons coming up..."

There are more but I was only saying "some"

Also, on the Imran spokesguy issue, I've know him since June, and he speaks for the SMACers.
                                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                                X