Combat Mission - Shipping This Week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Mission - Shipping This Week!

Hey all of you wargamers out there! A totally original and VERY well done TBS/RTS game is about to be released this week.

If you haven't played the CM demo you owe it to yourself to check it out at http://www.battlefront.com/products/worldwar/cm/.

If you're like me you'll love the game play style. You plan your moves in turn based mode, then play the turn out in real time, each "turn" is one minute. While the game is running in RT you can can freely move the camera around ala Myth, wathching your (or enemy) units) taking hits, watch infantry fire, then scramble for cover, or check out that enemy morter that hits more accurately with each round. And this is all in a fully 3D world. Oh, and the line-of-sight algorithms are fantastic! During planning you draw a fire line similar to Close Combat, if you have line of sight the line is green, if you are blocked it turns color at the point of blockage. And, if you don't believe the algorithm you can move your camera down right to the position of the units turret (or soldiers head) and see for yourself.

Well, I've babbled enough, check out the game, and if you come to the same conclusion I have you can buy it right on the website.

John-SJ
    edit: typo

[This message has been edited by John-SJ (edited June 12, 2000).]

I, too, have been following the developments of this game and will likely give it a try.

Comment

Well, I ordered Combat Mission today. I was reluctant at first because I know Diablo 2 is coming out next week and I wanted to give Combat Mission a fair chance before switching to Diablo. Now, with CM on it's way I am not sure I will even buy Diablo 2 when it hits the shelves. CM is THAT good!

Anyone looking for a truly innovative squad based war game check this game out. You can find the gold demo for CM at www.battlefront.com.

John-SJ

Comment

I just finished my first 4 hour session with the demo and this game is pretty cool.

I can see where strategy and tactics will be big in this game.

The way you "move" means I don't have to have awesome keyboard dexterity.

Looks like a winner.I don't spend 4 hours with any demos.This one is different.

Check it out.Its a bit of a large d/l but worth it.

btw-there is a MAC version.NOW.
        Check out the forums.There is a fair bit of MAC activity with this game.
        [This message has been edited by Smash (edited June 23, 2000).]
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

If you haven't done so, come join us the CM forum at www.battlefront.com

Comment

John-SJ, I saw you over there. Cool.

Comment

Yeah, now all we have to do is get Smash (and many others, I hope) to join us!

John-SJ

Comment

I should say that MAC people that get this very promising game should definetly take a sec and d/l that game sprockett thingy.If you don't have it that is.

I feel the sounds are very important in a game like this.The sound sprockett works well and it very easy to "install".

Course what isn't easy on a MAC?

oh ya, finding software.Now I remember.
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Hey Smash,

Have you got the full version yet? Want to try some PBEM?

And what about all of you other Apolytoners? Have you tried the Combat Mission demo yet? NO??? Well, what are you waiting for, you can get the PC of MAC demo right here, it's about 31 mb for either version. http://www.battlefront.com/downloads/index.html

And I have to say it again, this game is *awesome*! No one has done a 3D battlefield better than this one, not even Myth, or Shogun for that matter if the Shogun demo is an indication. IMO, this is a must have for anyone who has ever enjoyed a wargame!

John-SJ

Comment

I tried out the demo with this month's Computer Gaming World. I was skeptical at first (I usually don't like 3D games with rotating cameras, etc).

But I have to say this is truly an awesome game. The sounds, graphics, etc are fantastic. Just wait until you see, hear AND FEEL the American artillery bomb your postion when you play as the Germans. Incredible. It really is a terrific game.

Just one suggestion, though: when moving around the 3D battlefield use the keyboard rather than the mouse, or you could wind up feeling a bit queasy (especially if you are prone to motion sickness). Just move slowly and use the keyboard and you should be alright.

It is definitely a demo worth checking out - very innovative and a pleasure to game.

------------------
                    Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
                    That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

Comment

"Just wait until you see, hear AND FEEL the American artillery bomb your postion when you play as the Germans. Incredible. It really is a terrific game."

Hehe! Once I had my camera resting about 20 meters from a house where I had stationed a machine gun. The Germans spotted him and started lobbing heavy atry at him. When a shell landed between the house and my camera the sound was TREMENDOUS! I nearly jumped out of my chair! LOL!

And the positional sound is great too! When you learn to recognise the different sounds you can tell how far away they are by their volume and direction. I only have 3 speaker stereo but this game would be even better with a 5 speaker system!

John-SJ
                      edit:
                      PS - Leonidas, let me know when you get the full version and we can try some PBEM.

[This message has been edited by John-SJ (edited July 03, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X