Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zelda (everyone vote please, fan or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zelda (everyone vote please, fan or not)

No
    63.64%
    Yes, and I own a Gamecube
    13.64%
    Yes, and I own an Xbox
    15.91%
    Yes, and I own a PS2
    6.82%
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Just wondering... why?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Imran thinks that Zelda would sell better on the PS2 or Xbox than Gamecube.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

King of the twisting words.. I said that it would sell well on the PS2 AND XBox. Combined probably just as well. So, basically double what it has now.... especially considering it's been on the Gamecube for a year already (and thus not the 'new' thing). If it was released for all systems simultaneously, then perhaps the PS2 version would outsell the Cube one, mostly due to market share.

You are the one saying it would hardly sell at all on both the PS2 and XBox combined.
        Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; May 15, 2004, 23:20.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Erm. No...

My position was that the majority of people who would buy Zelda own a Gamecube, which you disagreed with, correct?

If this were false, as you asserted, the corollary would be that the majority of people who would buy Zelda do not own a Gamecube, and therefore it would sell better on the PS2 or Xbox than on the Gamecube...

Comment

My position was that the majority of people who would buy Zelda own a Gamecube

This poll deals with Zelda: The Wind Waker. That's a game which is a year old (and not the 'new' thing). If the Wind Waker 2 came out today simultaneously for all systems, I'd say the majority of buyers would probably be on PS2 (market share).

The poll references the Wind Waker (1) and that's what I'm talking about.

And way to try to restate your position. Your position was that Zelda is not a mainstream game and thus wouldn't sell well to the mainstream gamer. You said the only reason it sells because of Nintendo fanboys who buy the Gamecube because of nostalgia for Mario and Zelda. That means that you believe those who do not own the Gamecube do NOT share that nostalgia and thus wouldn't purchase those games.

By your argument Zelda wouldn't even sell $1 million on the XBox and PS2 combined (it would sell much more than that).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

This poll is caput! What if you two of thsoe systems, or all threee?
              Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
              Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

i loved the original zelda games back when i owned a nintendo system, if it came out on Xbox or ps2 i would buy it ...
                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Same here Rasputin... and that was my argument. People who own a XBox or PS2 for game variety (Gamecube doesn't have much), would welcome a Zelda game for their system.

Comment

About the only reason that I'd buy a Gamecube would be to play Zelda. That's not enough incentive to buy a gamecube, not at my current budget, perhaps not at any budget in the forseeable future (typically, if I've got $200 to waste, I'll either sock it away or blow it in Vegas, not spend it on a game system on which I only want to play one or two games).
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

nintendo always built the best adventure games, the mario series the zelda series and the spyro series..

all games that should be continued on the ps2 xbox..

(yes i know the alst spyro was on ps2 but it wasnt anywhere near as good as the others )
                      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        And way to try to restate your position. Your position was that Zelda is not a mainstream game and thus wouldn't sell well to the mainstream gamer. You said the only reason it sells because of Nintendo fanboys who buy the Gamecube because of nostalgia for Mario and Zelda. That means that you believe those who do not own the Gamecube do NOT share that nostalgia and thus wouldn't purchase those games.

By your argument Zelda wouldn't even sell $1 million on the XBox and PS2 combined (it would sell much more than that).
                        That's not my argument, which you should be smart enough to figure out. I was generalizing, saying why the MAJORITY would be on the Gamecube.

The majority of people who would buy Zelda own a Gamecube already, and the reason most people would buy Zelda is if they've played it before and want the nostalgia factor. The latter is not part of the former, just another argument.

I submit as evidence Soul Calibur II. Fighting games usually sell MUCH better on the PS2 and Xbox than Gamecube. But the Gamecube version had Link as its special character, and it sold more than the Xbox and PS2 versions.

I would expect the same -- but perhaps more dramatically -- if Zelda was released on all three platforms at the same time. Historically, statistics agree with me, using Soul Calibur II was a metric.

I'd be happy to hear about what you base your opinion on.

Comment

I'd be happy to hear about what you base your opinion on.

The popularity of Zelda (which cannot be denied) and the high rating of Zelda games, combined with the fact that the Gamecube does not have much variety in games compared to other systems (which means most people would not get a Gamecube to play 1 game, no matter HOW good that game is). If the Gamecube had the same variety in games and same number of games as the other two, and the numbers were the same, then perhaps you'd be right. But you totally discount this main downside to buying the Gamecube, saying that people would buy the Cube if they wanted to play Zelda.

And the fact that you are the first person I've heard who said Zelda does not have mainstream appeal.

I submit as evidence Soul Calibur II. Fighting games usually sell MUCH better on the PS2 and Xbox than Gamecube. But the Gamecube version had Link as its special character, and it sold more than the Xbox and PS2 versions.
                          Have you discounted the fact that PS2 and XBox have far more fighting games with which to divide the market, while the Gamecube doesn't? No, probably not.

Comment

This all goes back to Imran's comment that if Zelda was released on all the consoles last year, it would have been the #1 selling game of 2003.

It sold 3M on Gamecube, so it'd need to sell about 8-9M across Xbox and PS2 in a year to be #1. I really, really can never see that happening, since I think people on the PS2 & Xbox are more likely to buy something like GTA3 or Madden than Zelda.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              The popularity of Zelda (which cannot be denied)
                              Yes, it can.

The Sales for Wind Waker are historically underwhelming. Same size market share, Halo sold more.

3M copies of Zelda sold, 13M consoles --> 23% attach rate.
                              4.5M copies of Halo sold, 12.5M consoles --> 36% attach rate

Have you discounted the fact that PS2 and XBox have far more fighting games with which to divide the market, while the Gamecube doesn't? No, probably not.
                              I have considered that, but it was outweighed by the consideration that the Gamecube controller is ****ing TERRIBLE for fighting games, and Soul Calibur II is by far the best fighting game on any platform...

Comment

Working...
                              X