X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 rts games

Here's gamespy's list:

50% of the games I have never played, but I was shocked to see:

Age of Empires higher than Rise of Nations... There's not really anything in AoE that even resembles anything 'fun', it might be RT, but it doesn't have anything to do with strategy...
    Dune 2 was not even on the list, only as a hornorable mention, while they give some C&C game spot 2 (or was it 3)... I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense at all... even though C&C games have had lots of time to create something good, they still haven't managed to get a strategy game as Dune 2... hell, I have considered several times to install Dune 2, but haven't found a place to download it (legal version of course ), while there's no way I'm ever going to install any C&C game...

And when talking about strategy games and RT games, you have to mention The Settlers 2... it has more strategic death than any of the other games they mentioned... though as far as I know The Settlers series were never really known in the states
    This space is empty... or is it?

As if the RTS games aren't identical in all but graphics.

Comment

the only one I've played is Rise of Nations. And that was the demo game. And I only played once (but I did win ). my vote goes to rise of nations.

Comment

As if the RTS games aren't identical in all but graphics.
        A point I made the other day

Although there are some exceptions like WBC2 and M:TW that buck the "harvest crap" and "build a base" formula that hasn't really changed since Dune 2.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Black and White would be considered a RTS wouldn't it?

I have played that one as well. I didn't really enjoy it that much, I thought I would.

Comment

Total anihilation. Worst game ever. but, I dont wanna just all bash and no compliment... Had few interesting concepts.

I own 6 copies of that game. I bought none of them. My friends just gave it to me in disgust and I dont know why i started collecting it.

OK, I like Both RA1 and RA2. but RA1 being on real high like that is whack. RA2 is broken in its own ways, but its not at least broken gay like RA1 was....

Meh, its gamespy. what do u expect. That uy who wrote the article demonstrate absolutely zero knowledge in RT gaming. Actually worse negative seven thousand!!11!

Other than that list looks okay... im not gonna rip my hairs in frustration at the n00bness of gamespy foos is basically wat im saying. I cant really think of 10 RTS worthy to be considered 10 best anyway, so i guess some moderately ok games woul dfall into 5-10 list for me to fill in blanks.
            Last edited by Zero; May 2, 2004, 15:35.
            :-p

Comment

For SP it's a reasonable list. I too would like to see Dune2 and Settlers2 there somewhere, with C&C slightly lower, and TA slightly lower. But overall it's reasonable.

And to the ignorant 'RTS are all the same' brigade I bet everyone that posts in this thread can find a game they like and a game they dislike on that list.

Comment

I enjoy several RTS games, C&C being one of them. That doesn't mean they aren't all the same.

Comment

And to the ignorant 'RTS are all the same' brigade I bet everyone that posts in this thread can find a game they like and a game they dislike on that list.
                  You won't get away with that blanket comment I was referring to my comments on the products from two particular design studios.

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I made no 'blanket comment'. You quoted a post and agreed with it, saying you had made the same point as the post you quoted. The post you quoted referred to the list, not just the games from Westwood and Blizzard. You should be more careful.

Anyway, as I repeatedly said, if you qualify your comments to apply to SP, since by your own admission you are ignorant of MP, I'll let you make your silly blanket statements. Often RTS doesn't make a very compelling SP genre anyway.

Comment

I was going to say that any Top RTS list that has an alternative style game like Medieval: Total War
                      without also having Europa Universalis (as, obviously, the #1 spot ) is a joke....

But go Total Annihilation!
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Infact, this inspired me to install T&A again.

Maybe I'll try out some unit modding this time around...
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                          Often RTS doesn't make a very compelling SP genre anyway.
                          Why they even BOTHER making SP for RTS/FPS/Fighter is beyond me. All it does is attract bunch of casual players and cause confusion and mayhem on how the game is supposed to be played anyway...

I had a friend who was seriously ****ed up like that to the extreme. He built soldier and tanks and spent alot of time lining it up and making them march stratigh and **** in RA1 while i was tank pumping... I was like WTF... gay.
                          :-p

Comment

Why they even BOTHER making SP for RTS/FPS/Fighter is beyond me. All it does is attract bunch of casual players and cause confusion and mayhem on how the game is supposed to be played anyway...

The studios care more about how many units they sell rather than how many hours their product is in use for. If adding the SP component of a game increases production costs by 10% but increases revenue by 50% due to all these casual gamers, that is a good deal.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Pah, multiplayer ought to be outlawed.

IMHO:
                              1. Total Annihilation
                              2. Warlords Battlecry II
                              3. Kohan
                              4. Warlords Battlecry
                              5. Majesty

C&C is crap by definition. Westwood still cranks out games with interfaces inferior to WarCraft II. Age of Empires and StarCraft had me fighting the interface instead of the enemy. Also, if you are going to have a bad story, at least make it easy to ignore.

Age of Kings is plain boring. I played a few multiplayer bouts of WarCraft III with my friends down at some cybercafe and it didn't impress me much.
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X