Microsoft to buy Bioware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft to buy Bioware?

According to the somewhat obscure Polygon Magazine, Microsoft and BioWare are set to announce a holy union at May's E3. The rumor makes some sense, as Microsoft is publishing BioWare's next console title, Jade Empire. However, BioWare previously asserted they only planned to make games for Xbox and PC, so it's curious why Microsoft would feel compelled to spend a good chunk of money to purchase a developer already in its corner.

Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation, so could not deny nor confirm whether BioWare would indeed become part of the Microsoft family. BioWare, however, did comment on the rumors, offering: "BioWare's upcoming Xbox action-RPG, Jade Empire, is based on an entirely new BioWare intellectual property and slated for a holiday 2004 release. Microsoft is the publisher for Jade Empire. Microsoft is a certainly a valued business partner with whom BioWare enjoys a very positive and cooperative relationship."

That cryptic response may mean there is indeed something in the works. If this rumor is true, Microsoft increases its healthy list of first-party development companies, but it really won't mean much of a change for gamers, who get Jade Empire and a likely Neverwinter Nights Xbox title in the near future.

We'll have more on this story if it develops beyond the rumor stages.

Interesting news... perhaps Microsoft can be convinced to purchase Black Isle and just become the new Interplay for RPGs.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Hmm, I'll wait for a bit before believing this.

Comment

"BioWare's upcoming Xbox action-RPG, Jade Empire, is based on an entirely new BioWare intellectual property and slated for a holiday 2004 release. Microsoft is the publisher for Jade Empire. Microsoft is a certainly a valued business partner with whom BioWare enjoys a very positive and cooperative relationship."

That cryptic response was probably just cut and pasted from one of BioWare's latest press releases. Even if it were in context, it wouldn't offer much information.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

If it's true the: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Micro$oft has the bad habit of cancelling games if the development of those games cost too much, or if it does not reach the micro$oft standards. Mythica only just recently was cancelled like this, and there was not really a reason for it, because the entire gaming community and the press called it a very promising game.

KILL M$

"An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

perhaps Microsoft can be convinced to purchase Black Isle and just become the new Interplay for RPGs.
          Which will all be published first on the Xbox with a PC port in the works a year later. These "RPGs" will also probably be more like BG Dark Alliance.

At this rate the world will have three game companies: Electronic Arts, Microsoft and Activision.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Yeucch
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Penny Arcade has a source who says no.

I'm hearing a huge "no" from people internal to the company. But then I'm like, well, if he's in on it...
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Hurrah! More merging of developers into mega-conglomerates! With any luck, soon we won't have any original games (assuming any ever get published, period, with all the inevitable corporate delays...)
                I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia

Which will all be published first on the Xbox with a PC port in the works a year later. These "RPGs" will also probably be more like BG Dark Alliance.

At this rate the world will have three game companies: Electronic Arts, Microsoft and Activision.
                  What, not Atari?
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
                    Hurrah! More merging of developers into mega-conglomerates! With any luck, soon we won't have any original games (assuming any ever get published, period, with all the inevitable corporate delays...)
                    There'll always be the 'underdogs' like Paradox and Illwinter who do it for the love of the games, not for the love of the money.

... I hope.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

oh please god no!

Comment

What, not Atari?
                        Point taken. And Vivendi. But they are all whores of Babylon, the lot of 'em.
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

If Atari survived until now, then it must mean that nothing can assimilate them anyway

PS: Hello Kass and Dissident
                          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                            There'll always be the 'underdogs' like Paradox and Illwinter who do it for the love of the games, not for the love of the money.

... I hope.
                            But the games Paradox and Illwinter make are just contrived, lame, and dull as what you get out of the megacorps -- just without the polish and marketing.

Honestly, I think it's a psychological thing for the people who are fans of their games. Boggles my mind.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher is just jealous cause I, the glorious Russian empire, invaded Canada in Victoria.
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                              X