Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come there are no good detective games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    As I understand it, you (as the author) define a set of criteria to judge the generation algorithm, and the various "crime cases" compete against each other for survival based on these rules. The closer they are to them, the "fitter" they are judged to be. Then the surviving cases get tossed back into the generator, which looks at them, mutate a variable here or there, and create a new batch.
    Right, that's how a Genetic Algorithm works, but my point was: how do you actually define the rules? Having thought about for a while, I cannot really come up with a good set of criteria to judge the fitness of a particular crime chromosome by. I mean, you need to come up with some way to automatically analyze the coherency of a given case, which seems to me a rather daunting task. Instead, I would approach the generation of the crime in such a manner that simply cannot produce an incoherent crime, instead of generating random sets of variables and then weeding out the unfit ones.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
      First of all, I think that for this to be successful, one needs a strong information-sharing system. Basically, my idea was that every NPC would have a memoery of their own, represented by a semantic tree. At the root of it would be the most generic, almost useless information, and as you go deeper, more and more details are contained, so in the end the leaves have the most specific info - the one you are after.
      That's a natural for OO.

Now, the deeper down the tree you go, the more details you discover right? So, my idea was that each NPC's memory would slowly decay.
      I am not sure if you should do that, because there are so many factors affecting a person's memory. For example, a person can remember a very dramatic event vividly years after it occurred. OTOH, if it is a very traumatic event, your mind could try to bury it.

Another thing is most games are not time driven, but event driven, so the player has time to sit down and think about things. Without regular passage of time, there's no way you could implement memory decay.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Right, that's how a Genetic Algorithm works, but my point was: how do you actually define the rules? Having thought about for a while, I cannot really come up with a good set of criteria to judge the fitness of a particular crime chromosome by. I mean, you need to come up with some way to automatically analyze the coherency of a given case, which seems to me a rather daunting task.
        You could always judge the scenes manually. This is going to be much slower than an automatic filter, but probably will still be faster than trying to write a concrete set of rules.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I am not sure if you should do that, because there are so many factors affecting a person's memory. For example, a person can remember a very dramatic event vividly years after it occurred. OTOH, if it is a very traumatic event, your mind could try to bury it.
          Ah, but remember that we are considering a crime investigation game. I kind of assumed (incorrectly maybe) that the whole action would take within say 6 months of the crime, not much more. Hence, when I came up with the rough sketch of the memory system I outlined above, I rather thought about the minor details vs big things memory kind of thing. If a game were to span a few years, then of course your point may be valid, but it still seems almost an overkill. Besides, we are only concerned with memory relating to the crime in question. Hence, unless we are talking about the victim NPC, this may not even apply.

Another thing is most games are not time driven, but event driven, so the player has time to sit down and think about things. Without regular passage of time, there's no way you could implement memory decay.
          Sure I could. Every turn the player takes takes a certain amount of time. Go from the police station to the victim's house - 30 min; question the victim - 90 min; search the house - 45 min; etc. As time wears on, people start forgetting stuff gradually. Of course, the time scale would need to be much exagerrated, like in the Sims, say, or the characters would seem much too forgetful, but...

Alternatively, in the simplistic turn-based system I proposed above somewhere, where the player gets ten turns to solve the crime: each two turns, say, each NPC forgets a bit of information. That doesn't seem too realistic, but would do perfectly well for a first prototype kind of thing.
          Spore page

Comment

You could always judge the scenes manually. This is going to be much slower than an automatic filter, but probably will still be faster than trying to write a concrete set of rules.
            Ah, but that defeats the whole purpose of automatic crime generation, now doesn't it?
            Spore page

Comment

Ah, but that defeats the whole purpose of automatic crime generation, now doesn't it?
              Ah, but the generation is automatic, just that the tuning of the generator is not.

Comment

Ah, but the generation is automatic, just that the tuning of the generator is not.
                You could put it that way. But I still think it defeats the purpose of the generator. I mean, take Civ3. Suppose whenever you start a new game, 90% of the time, the map is unplayable. (Say, your settler ends up on a desrt tile surrounded by nothing but ocean.) Is that a good generator? Nope. Though it's plenty random.

Similarly with story generation. I can write a program that generates random numbers, uses them as an index into a dictionary and spits out the words. Sure I'm going to get a cool new novel written like this eventually, but what are the chances, and wouldn't I be better off using my own brain to come up with something creative?

Same here. Random assignment of values is just not good enough. There has to either be some way of assigning them so that they make sense together righht away, or to sort them out so that they make sense in the end.
                Spore page

Comment

Hannibal Lecter: No, he covets. That's his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer.

Clarice Starling: No. We just--

Hannibal Lecter: No. Precisely. We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? I hardly see how you couldn't. And don't your eyes move over the things you want?
                  I have a friend who's building a game (an MMORPG, but really nothing like Everquest and that ilk), to which I'm making some modest contributions.

Since the backdrop of the game is supposed to be very lively, part of what needs to happen is for the NPCs to interact with each other in many degrees, from casual to intimate, and with various degrees of ethical-ness.

The approach we worked out was to give the characters jobs and other relationships with other characters, and to move them around, and in that way crimes--when they occur--will arise "organically", if you will.
                  [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

Although this is actualy opposite to what your talking about, it incorporates many of the things mentioned - just from the criminals perspective.
                    Its also a very enjoyable game to boot mobygames info on 'The Clue'
                    If you google for it you will find much better info on it.
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Dammit, I didn't get any e-mail updates on this thread. Rrrrr...
                      Anyways, I kind of slacked off last week. Soon I'll post my non-finished code so you can see what I'm really thinking.
                      cIV list: cheats
                      Now watch this drive!

Comment

Originally posted by MattH
                        Soon I'll post my non-finished code so you can see what I'm really thinking.
                        Cool
                        Spore page

Comment

You could put it that way. But I still think it defeats the purpose of the generator.
                          What I was saying was the generator "learns" from your feedback and adjust the parameters accordingly. It still is a genetic algorithm, sort of, with a manual filter instead of an automatic one.

Comment

Originally posted by MattH
                            Anyways, I kind of slacked off last week. Soon I'll post my non-finished code so you can see what I'm really thinking.
                            MattH? How goes it?
                            Spore page

Comment

MattH! I know you are there.
                              Spore page

Comment

POST!
                                Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                                Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Working...
                                X