• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the multiple votes

with some percentage (like 51 or 60) being required to kill someone

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

you could have it so that everytime someone votes they ahve to put down all their votes

votes only last one day, as determined by the GM

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I assume this was in response to my suggestion. No, you wouldn't, unless you were being a psycho. If there are people you suspect more than others, vote for them. The villagers want to win, and that's more likely if they actually vote for those they think are the Mafia...

Well, yes and no although the object is to kill the mafia as quickly as possible, most people try to look out for number one.
        They don't really care how many villagers stay alive as long as they stay in.

Edit: fixed quote.

Wow, editing has become really fast
        Last edited by alva; March 20, 2004, 08:35.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

They don't really care how many villagers stay alive as long as they stay in.
          True. And the villagers don't like to help other villagers stay alive - incase they are keeping the mafia alive without knowing it.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowFire
            However, a public vote may be controverted by a PM vote. (I post on the forum, "I vote rah," but send a PM, "just kiddin', it's Skanky.")

Terrible idea. Why bother with public votes then? The point of public discussion is to try and figure out who really did it. Why would you want to hide your thoughts on that matter? And does it make any sense, flavorwise? (Discussion: "We should hang Jeb!" "Yup, Jeb's the murderer!" Result:"Er... okay... so we kill Fred now?!")
            Simply so that the public votes can be used to mislead people. You won't know who changed their vote to whom.

Alternatively, people could also publicly campaign for voting for a certain somebody, but all voting would be by PM.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Another idea I just got 2 minutes ago

It does look like Rah's idea... maybe it is, I'm not sure if I understand his idea 100%

Each player belongs to a group. When the game starts, each group has ~3 members. Each group only has one vote. The members in the groups then need to give reasons for each other, to persuade the other members of the group to vote for the person, this member believe is a mafia. In the end, each group has to post one vote.
              I believe this makes votes based on clues more important, since evidence is needed to persuade the other members of the group.

This requires the members in each group to be living in the same timezone (or at least online at the same time)
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I like your idea, ADG, but I'm not sure its "mafia" anymore. The trouble is that we just can't rely on people checking the thread - not even once in 24 hours. Yes, there are strange people that simply join a game and then don't care about it. We could be waiting forever for groups to make a decision.

If we add the idea of mafia "groups" there is also the problem of what a group does if it thinks the mafia is one of its own members...

Its a nice idea, if we were all sitting at a table, but unless the players can be somehow convinced to hang around the thread the whole day, I can see it turnng into a very slow game.

And now I feel like a bastard for jumping on your suggestion, sorry

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

The 24 hour rule still applies:
                  If a group fails to post their vote before time runs out, we wont wait for them, they just fails to influence the votings then... That's their problem
                  If two of the members in a group believes it's the 3rd member of the group that is the mafia, then they're still able to vote for him (This is a Democracy afterall )

If there is a group of 3 members where only 1 member is active, that just means he's the only voter for his group, which means he controls the 'group'

I know this might not be 'Mafia' anymore, but we could just try to start it as a new game. Instead of making it "Mafia XXXIV" it could just be some new game with some new name.

Comment

The problem is with a group with TWO members, when one member thinks the other is the mafia.

-Jam

Comment

In such cases we could make it possible for members of one group to join another group instead (Join a group with 1 less member than his/her group, or switch with a member of another group)

Comment

And in cases where there is no majority in a group, and they can't agree on a vote, they just send both votes to the GM, who'll make a random draw to chose who they vote for...

Comment

The usual proposed solution to problems such as this in voting systems (the problem of two-party systems arising in Democracies, which is closely related to docpiling) is to change the voting system to single transferable vote. This does make more work for the GM, but in most cases it probably won't be a significant increase. In any case, it introduces a different set of voting strategies, which could give the game a new twist.

Comment

I still think reinstating change of votes would solve the problem of dogpiling.

Dogpiling was never such an issue while you could change your vote.

Comment

I think docpiling has seen a large reduction in recent games.

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                              X