Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How pissed off would you be if you had to pay for patching games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How pissed off would you be if you had to pay for patching games?

(Capcom VS SNK 2 has like bazillion versions floating around. Each different for each platform but thats another issue. Thats just inconsistency in porting versions IMO)

Normally patching for games are free.

Not so in the world of console fighter games. Its kinda hard to patch a console game so it rarely gets patched. But in fighting game, patches are necessary, cause like multiplayer PC games, balance is crucial.

Most of times these changes get ironed out in the arcades, and HOPEFULLY (yes hope sigh) issues get resolved before console versions come out, so console can reflect the latest arcade version of that game. Well that ideal rarely gets achieved.

I'll use Virtua Fighter as an example. That game had quite a few revision in the arcade. And Virtua Fighter version C was released for the PS2 Console. But it still had balance issues (VF4 is an extremly balanced game, but in high competition, even the minor issues get blown out of porportion). So Virtua Fighter:Evo came out which added 2 new character and alot of balance changes. after 2 revision of Evo, console version was released fro $30. Since VF4:Evo had 2 new characters, it could be passes off as an "Expansion".

Now new Virtua Fighter is coming out this summer. No doubt it will have few revision in arcade before before released in console. Which will probably be $30 again. This time no new characters. Just all balance changes and new game modes. So that makes paying for this game alone: 40+30+30=100....

Its a great game and nearly flawless, but whenever they are going through revision, it feels like I'm paying for a patch. Sigh, at least you PC gamers don't have to deal with this.....

But I'm sure some of you can relate. Don't you feel that game developers rely too much on patches and expansion to fix things? And especially patches? (which you have to pay for). Civ was kinda like this. It took 2 expansion for civ to kinda become what everyone expected of vanilla civ3 initially....
    :-p

It's cause in console-speak, they don't "patch" games. They just make some tweaks and call it an entirely new game.

My thinking is that if they don't make it right the first time, don't buy it anymore.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Morrowind is much the same as Civ in that there's been two expansions with each one fixing bugs with the later patches not available unless you bought the expansions.

Last patch version
      Morrowind - v1.2.0722
      Tribunal - v1.4.1313
      Bloodmoon - v1.6.1820

Those who shelled out $50 or so for the original x-box version had to play the game as release version which had some serious bugs. Fortunately Bethsoft waited until the first bloodmoon patch was released before the GOTY release went gold.
      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Yeah companies rely too much on patches.........better to release it and see what the fans whine about then fix it, than test it thoroughly yourself. It pretty much sucks.

Looking at it from the other angle, the inherent difficulty with console games at least means that the developers try much harder to iron things out before the game is released.

And as for MP, I can't speak for fighting games, since it's a genre I've never competed in. However, for MP games I have like WC3 I would add that balance is an ever-changing concept. New angles appear all the time when you have over a million players worldwide, so keeping things balanced is a difficult task requiring constant updates.

Comment

I agree with Franky. If they make you pay for the patches which should be in the original game. Don't buy it. Vote with your wallet is the only way.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You should at least have a valid registration key like in Galactic Civ. That might help a bit with piracy. Also, I would like the companies to send automatic emails if a patch is available. Otherwise you have to check web site periodically and waste time.

Comment

It's cause in console-speak, they don't "patch" games. They just make some tweaks and call it an entirely new game.

I very much like that strategy and hope eveyone stops buying them
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

LIVID PISSED.
                Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
                  Tsk tsk, you said it the wrong way. You should say it the way dubya does it!

"An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I wouldn't buy such a ****ty game
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

How pissed off would you be if you had to pay for patching games?

I would stop playing games

Comment

I wouldnt stand for it with PC games, but with console id buy a sequel to any game that was good enough. Its more a collecting thing with console games, PC games ive traded hundreds of times, not to mention downloaded.

Besides i think fighting games are the extreme case of "patching" with a new game.
                        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

well what if the game was soo good and so balanced, but they keep changing around stats and plays around with game balance to tweak the balance even more? We all like patches... and we all prefer the game would be more balanced than it already is. But would you pay for it if it was already "good enough"?

Keep in mind if you dont update in multiplayer, you have you and your six year old cousin who comes over during christmas vacation to play with.... WHACK!

Besides i think fighting games are the extreme case of "patching" with a new game.

I used it because its the extrem case. And besides, I AM a fighting game player after all. I have to deal with that bull**** everytime.
                          :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
                            well what if the game was soo good and so balanced, but they keep changing around stats and plays around with game balance to tweak the balance even more? We all like patches... and we all prefer the game would be more balanced than it already is. But would you pay for it if it was already "good enough"?
                            Not as a standalone game, no. Maybe $10.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

For console... just start having patches available online and those who want to can spend the money on buying a HD for their system (save for the x-box) and download the patch.

The let it be more like a computer, drop in the game disc, and then launch it from the HD.
                              I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Working...
                              X