No announcement yet.

Sid Meier's Pirates! preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oi I even completed MI3!!! almost without cheating too.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• He already pointed out that he was referring in that comment to the new Pirates game, not Civ3.

An easily defeated backtrack. He said it 'remind anyone of anything'. A 3D Sid game which is supposed to 'remind anyone of anything' and then he said Civ3 was bad. Not hard to figure out.

Saying it was just used to refer to Pirates! is nothing more than being caught and trying to backtracked.

Basically... pwned!!
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dale
        Oh great.......

- Sid is doing it.
        - Atari publishing.
        - An old classic being remaked "simplified" for the masses and "prettier".
        - 3D engine proven to be crap.

Hmm...... remind anyone of anything?

He screwed us with Civ3, he'll screw us with Pirates.
        So this is his post. The 3D engine point clearly refers to the new Pirates game. Granted he should have made clear he didn't mean that part reminded him of Civ3 when he drew the comparison later in the post. However he posted again after to say he was referring to the Pirates game 3D engine, so the point is clear.

If you disagree then fair enough, but disagree with his points. Don't pick at a slight oversight that was later corrected anyway. You don't want people to think you can't address the points authoritively and so choose to attack a different way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc
          You don't want people to think you can't address the points authoritively and so choose to attack a different way.
          Maybe he does?

it was like soooo OT man

And i completely understand Dales comments, but i just have a 'good' feeling about Pirates2 - its such a great game + I just couldn't bare to see another all time top 10 classic get well and truely stuffed up, it would be too much
          Last edited by child of Thor; March 24, 2004, 13:37.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• For those that like monkey island and indeed any lucas arts adventure games. Scummvm allows you to run them on newer systems without problem: www.scummvm.org
            You have to have the game though, all scummvm does is make it run
            This can be used to play the versions for other platforms as well btw, I bought MI3 for windows and played it on my mac with this (and if you have the Mac version of MI2 you can play it on windows, and so on).
            Scummvm also supports revolutions broken sword games.

And MI1 and 2 are definatly the better ones
            Last edited by Henrik; March 24, 2004, 14:09.
            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

• Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Famous? I'm serious that I have never heard of Monkey Island. It must be a regional fad game or something.
              Umm, it's probably one of the best-known computer game series out there. Let me lift that rock you're under...
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• True, but an entire generation has discovered computer games since the release of the original trilogy. They all predate Civ 1 for goodness sake. Did Monkey Island 4 make much of an impact? Not that I recall.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  He already pointed out that he was referring in that comment to the new Pirates game, not Civ3.

An easily defeated backtrack. He said it 'remind anyone of anything'. A 3D Sid game which is supposed to 'remind anyone of anything' and then he said Civ3 was bad. Not hard to figure out.

Saying it was just used to refer to Pirates! is nothing more than being caught and trying to backtracked.

Basically... pwned!!
                  These comments are exactly the same ones us CTP2 lovers got from Civ3 lovers in our own forum mind you when we debated the comparisons between CTP2 and Civ3. We'd come up with points for and against each title, and the Civ3 folks would just come in and attack our writing style, and when we pointed it out to the un-educated, they basically said we suck cus we like CTP2.

Sure, it's a good thing to look on Sid's successes, but don't ride it into the dirt. Granted, Railroad tycoon, Civ 1 and pirates were massive successes, but he's failed just like every other developer out there. Gettysburg, Civ3 (in my opinion and a lot of other peoples, you either love or hate it), and lo 'n behold, Simgolf! Yes, in Australia it failed. It was in a classic label box a month after release for $19.95!

I'm looking at his progression through time designing/coding, and notice that his success graph plots like the dropping of the American dollar! So how can I NOT make the assumption that Pirates2 may fail? Add to that the fact Firaxis already stated it would be directed more to the masses (which means more directed towards the young console crowd who don't have the experience of grand strategy that us 80's/90's gamers did).

Personally, I hope Pirates2 is as fantastic if not more than the original, but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. There's plenty of choice for my limited gaming dollars, so they're going to have to do a good job to stop me spending on something else.

That's my 2 cents Imran, and if you don't like it STIFF!

Comment

• i hope its abit like this

PiratesII

'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grumbold
                      True, but an entire generation has discovered computer games since the release of the original trilogy. They all predate Civ 1 for goodness sake. Did Monkey Island 4 make much of an impact? Not that I recall.
                      Curse doesn't predate Civ1; in fact it's not even close.

Comment

• The 3D engine point clearly refers to the new Pirates game. Granted he should have made clear he didn't mean that part reminded him of Civ3 when he drew the comparison later in the post. However he posted again after to say he was referring to the Pirates game 3D engine, so the point is clear.

The point wasn't clear at the time. The 3D engine crack only refered to solely Pirates! afterwards. And yes, I'm supposed to pick out inconsistencies like this... I'm in law school, you see?

You don't want people to think you can't address the points authoritively and so choose to attack a different way.

What points should I address? Yes, Sid is doing this, yes Atari is publishing it, yes, an old classic is being redone, yes, it's a 3d engine (but beautiful rather than crap). No, I don't think that Civ3's failures mean every game Sid does from now on will suck.

These comments are exactly the same ones us CTP2 lovers got from Civ3 lovers

Oh God, you are a CTP2 lover . And you think you have the capacity to judge how good a game will be .

We'd come up with points for and against each title

What points? I've already shown above, they ain't arguments.

it's a good thing to look on Sid's successes, but don't ride it into the dirt. Granted, Railroad tycoon, Civ 1 and pirates were massive successes, but he's failed just like every other developer out there. Gettysburg, Civ3 (in my opinion and a lot of other peoples, you either love or hate it), and lo 'n behold, Simgolf! Yes, in Australia it failed. It was in a classic label box a month after release for $19.95!

Likewise don't ride Sid's ONE big failure into the dirt. Gettyburg! can by no means be called a failure, and if you are merely going on sales, then System Shock 2 was a failure, but it still is considered one of the greatest games of all time by major magazines. Both Gettysburg! and SimGolf recieved rave reviews.

I'm looking at his progression through time designing/coding, and notice that his success graph plots like the dropping of the American dollar! So how can I NOT make the assumption that Pirates2 may fail?

SimGolf was a wonderfully fun game. Gettysburg! was amazing. SMAC is the best Civ-type game ever made. One misstep and his success is dropping on the graph? Huh?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

, but he's failed just like every other developer out there. Gettysburg,
                          Burn the heretic!!!

Yes suh, Ginal Lee!

SMG is terrific!!!!
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            , yes, it's a 3d engine (but beautiful rather than crap).
                            I said the engine was crap, not Pirates2's use of it. But aside from that, the graphics do look a little blocky, but almost guarenteed not to be what we see in the final release, so I'm not going to comment anymore on that till we see some release candidate screenshots.

Oh God, you are a CTP2 lover . And you think you have the capacity to judge how good a game will be .
                            You just proved my point.

We'd come up with points for and against each title

What points? I've already shown above, they ain't arguments.
                            Read that paragraph again. I'd moved on from before and was pointing out the similarity between this arguement and the "CTP2 vs Civ3" arguement.

Likewise don't ride Sid's ONE big failure into the dirt. Gettyburg! can by no means be called a failure, and if you are merely going on sales, then System Shock 2 was a failure, but it still is considered one of the greatest games of all time by major magazines. Both Gettysburg! and SimGolf recieved rave reviews.
                            I've learned not to completely trust magazines anymore after being burnt by a few titles. Magazines also said Moo3 was amazing too!

This is pointless. If you want to keep argueing, be my guest. But I'm outa here.

Comment

• I said the engine was crap

Most people considered Morrowind to be a great graphical game... and this is the same engine.

You just proved my point.

What, that CTP series sucks so much ass that anyone who admits it can't be trusted?

Magazines also said Moo3 was amazing too!

Really?

Not every critic is the same. Metacritic offers aggregated game reviews from the top critics, and our own METASCORE pinpoints at a glance how each game was reviewed.

62% is a reaaaaly baaaad score.

Comment

Magazines also said Moo3 was amazing too!
                                Then those magazines should be out of business by now.

Comment

Working...
                                X