No announcement yet.

Sid Meier's Pirates! preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure game. If chronology is important then really Monkey Island was a rip off of Pirates! without the fun sailing, piracy, town-raiding, treasure hunting or trading bits
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

• So basically you just sat on an island and watched Monkeys?

Sound like the Civ3 PTW DG II.

Comment

• How dare you not know what Monkey Island is?! You have invalidated your gaming opinion on everything in one fell swoop.

Comment

• I had a valid gaming opinion?

Seriously, isn't Monkey Island that Disney zoo in Orlando?

Comment

• Heathen.

Comment

• How can a gamer not know the Monkey Island series (even if they didn't like it or something)
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• GF, your assignment is to acquire a copy of Monkey Island and experience for yourself the ... Monkey Island experience.
                (Mental note, revise the above sentence before posting)

You fight like a dairy farmer.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• [obligatory] How appropriate, you fight like a cow. [/obligatory]

Comment

• Oh great.......

- Sid is doing it.
                    - Atari publishing.
                    - An old classic being remaked "simplified" for the masses and "prettier".
                    - 3D engine proven to be crap.

Hmm...... remind anyone of anything?

He screwed us with Civ3, he'll screw us with Pirates.

Comment

• Hmm...... remind anyone of anything?

No... Sid didn't 'do' Civ3. Civ3 was anything if 'simplified'. Civ3 didn't have a 3D engine.

So, fails on every account. I think Sid actually involved in programming in Pirates! will make this a can't miss.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Imran:

Sorry, but if you put your name on the box, you have to expect it to be yours, and to expect the flak in your name when it flops. Oh, and straight from the Civ3 website FAQ, "overseeing the project" pretty much says it's his:

What is Sid Meier's role in the making of Civilization III?
                        Sid is the Director of Creative Development at Firaxis Games. He is overseeing the project, making game play and design decisions.

I didn't say Civ3 had a 3D engine, I said the 3D engine in pirates 2 is crap.

And Civ3 WAS simplified. Heaps! Just one look at the UI tells us that, not to mention that model simplifications.

Comment

• Imran you shouldn't dismiss Dale's points IMO. Atari don't have a great record, and any of the good Civ3 players who have a long history with Civ will tell you it's simplified as compared to Civ2, despite the additions made.

As to Sid's 'involvement' I doubt that has any bearing any more either for good or bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            How can a gamer not know the Monkey Island series (even if they didn't like it or something)
                            It was probably something I looked at and thought "oh, this is one of those education child games like Oregon Trail" and promptly put down and completely wiped from my memory.

Comment

• Well it's not too late to correct your oversight.

Comment

• What oversight? Everyone here says it was crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X