No announcement yet.

XBox2: No hard drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They probably took out the hard drive because of that hack where you could install a huge hard drive and copy all the games you rent.
    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
      They probably took out the hard drive because of that hack where you could install a huge hard drive and copy all the games you rent.
      Information wants to be Free?????
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Console games play fundamentally different than PC games, even when it's a port from one to the other.
        I know that, and I'm frustrated of not having any console of the current generation.

However, when you have a Kickass PC that plays Hlo and Morrowind great, I don't think why you'd want to go for a console that has fewer games than the PS2, similar games to the PC (unlike the PS2), and is generally less console-ish.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Even if you have a kickass PC ( ), consoles complement that.

Console games play fundamentally different than PC games, even when it's a port from one to the other.
          Actually since you have both tell me why you value your console. I'd like to get some perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            I know that, and I'm frustrated of not having any console of the current generation.

However, when you have a Kickass PC that plays Hlo and Morrowind great, I don't think why you'd want to go for a console that has fewer games than the PS2, similar games to the PC (unlike the PS2), and is generally less console-ish.
            Because I don't think the Xbox has much more "PC-like" games than the PS2. The best selling games on both are sports games and on the PS2 GTA3 (also on PC), and Xbox Halo (also on the PC).

The PS2's hardware is rather pathetic, it doesn't have the great online play of Xbox Live, and I'm not interested in much of the "Japanese" style games that come out on it. For example, I can't stand Final Fantasy games (with the exception of FFXI, which I play on...the PC )

The Xbox is just more of what I'm looking for. Dolby Digital 5.1, HDTV, and broadband-only online with voicechat in every game. I wouldn't even say the PS2 is in the same generation as the Xbox, so why should it be the same price?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
              Actually since you have both tell me why you value your console. I'd like to get some perspective.
              It's a more relaxing, laid back experience. It's different to lay back on your couch with a controller in your hands than it is hunched over a keyboard and mouse.

Then there's the local-friend issue: it's more fun to play with your friends when they're in the same room. I find it to be great fun to play ESPN Hockey with friends just infront of the PC. You can't really do something like that on the PC.

The online play is also substantially different. When I turn on the Xbox it logs into Xbox Live, so my friends know when I'm playing games and what I'm playing. They can send me game invites, so if I'm playing, say, Project Gotham Racing 2 singleplayer, I get a little discrete prompt in the bottom corner saying something like "Agathon invites you to play a game of ESPN Hockey." When I accept, I insert the ESPN Hockey CD and it connects me to his game automatically.

Since it's all broadband, it's not laggy. There's no cheating. Everyone's got voicechat, so you lay back on the couch and play, talking with the people you're playing against like they're in the same room.

Consoles and PCs complement eachother nicely.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Hmm, I have broadband, and MP is already as you describe it for your console. Since several good friends live quite far away from me it works out well.

I take the argument about playing with people in the same room.........back at uni games of Mario Kart and Bomberman were awesome, and later on Quake with players close enough for you to be able to swear at them when they shot you.

Comment

It's a more relaxing, laid back experience. It's different to lay back on your couch with a controller in your hands than it is hunched over a keyboard and mouse.

Then there's the local-friend issue: it's more fun to play with your friends when they're in the same room. I find it to be great fun to play ESPN Hockey with friends just infront of the PC. You can't really do something like that on the PC.

The two reasons consoles even exist

Comment

I hardly play games anymore

Then why are you in these forums .

something like "Agathon invites you to play a game of ESPN Hockey."

----

Anyway, I only have a console for sports and action/adventure type games. FPS controls suck on consoles (all of them); the mouse and keyboard are just soo much better.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

" It's different to lay back on your couch with a controller in your hands than it is hunched over a keyboard and mouse.

Then there's the local-friend issue: it's more fun to play with your friends when they're in the same room. "

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'm worried what will happen when my xbox needs a defrag

Still i like having the harddrive - i wasn't going to get the next one anyway, but that is a definate nail in the coffin.
                        How could i play Championship Manager on a console without a harddrive?

I got an xbox even though i own a PC cause my PC is for playing my fav games, most of which came out pre 1996 ish. I wouldn't want to upgrade it as i'd then be unable to play most of these games without a fair amount of trouble.

PS1+2 games, the ones i've played were fairly under whelming - as a vet gamer i always got the impression they were very specificaly aimed at the kids. The xbox has titles which aren't so kid orientainted, it just feels a bit more grown up to me?

Still it makes sense that they will go the online only way with consoles(not that i'll ever suscribe) - that way you have much more control over your market and what its paying habits will be...

When that day comes my xbox will be turned into a pc running linux.....maybe
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

There is a way to defrag the Xbox HD.

Comment

There is a way to defrag the Xbox HD

stick it in your puter?

Comment

you guys are crazy
                              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
                              X