Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBox2: No hard drive!

****!

The hard drive was the best part of the XBox!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

I expect you'll still be able to get one...........after a trip to Mr Wallet.

Comment

Asher ( of all people ) did thread on this IIRC a couple of days ago ( I think in th OT)
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It almost -- but not really -- makes sense. The HD is chronically underused on the Xbox by games, and it costs MS $20-$30 per console to put it in (that adds up to a lot when you sell tens of millions).

They're launching online storage for the new Xbox Live this year, and by 2005-2006 I wouldn't be surprised if memory cards would be substantially faster and be about 512MB.

Current consoles have rather slow disc drives (4x DVD).

One of the best uses of the HD was level caching, used extensively in games like Halo and Ninja Gaiden. When equipped with a, say, 16x DVD-ROM drive, levels can be streamed reliably straight from media rather than on a harddrive.

Still, I really wish they'd left it in...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

well at least without a hard drive the idea of patching console games is all but thrown out the window!

unfortunatly, going by just that article, it would seem they intend to make X-Box live the crutch of the system. Something I had hoped could be avoided, but alas it seems Im slowly being proven wrong. Microsoft screws yet another electronics industry. ( Im getting way ahead of things right now )

Comment

Microsoft screws yet another electronics industry.

they're already coming out with number 2(hehe poop). Crap, now i have to get my money together. But then I guess all of the old xbox gmaes will be cheaper. Either way, I have to get my money in line so I can bow before my electronic opiate, and live my life of quiet desperation.
            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Maybe there is one other reason:

In belgium and perhaps other countries too*:

Computers are more heavily taxed then consoles( that's why they like to portray them as such here), maybe with the addition of a HD there were looked upon as crossing the line between console and PC too much?

Just a thought.

* Yes, I am aware that MS is going to make a decision like this just because Tiny little Belgium ......
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

I don't get why people who are equipped with a PC will buy an X-box instead of a PS2. It is really a mystery to me
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Ease of use? Kids pressuring their parents to get one ?

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    Ease of use? Kids pressuring their parents to get one ?

Parents buy stuff under pressure from their kids in EUROPE????? Its not just an American disease?
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Nope, we are almost as rich as you guys

(well, I'm not, but then I don't have any kids either )

Comment

well yeah i know your GDP per capita figures and all that, i just thought social structures were a tad less overriden by consumerism than here (you know, french making a big deal about not going to McDonalds, etc)

I mean what the heck is the purpose of even having Europe if youre gonna be just as culturally barbaric as we are????
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Kids don't care about borders etc...

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                            Kids don't care about borders etc...
                            You got giant chain megabookstores too??

Comment

I don't get why people who are equipped with a PC will buy an X-box instead of a PS2. It is really a mystery to me

Everyone I know has both the X-Box and the PS2 or got the one thier best friend doesnt have so they technicaly have both.

Comment

Working...
                              X