Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silent Storm, turn-based tactics ala FOT, WW2 setting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahh the same game reviewed in this months' CGW

They gave it a good rating. Though they were unhappy about the end. Ray guns? That seems kind of silly. I can't believe they put that in there.

But the review didn't mention if the game is turned based or real time. Or the pausing features.

And they compared it to X-com, not Fallout: Tactics. But I liked both games.

Comment

Heh, i never played X-com so i wouldn't know about that.

One thing i noticed is that the combat maps i've seen so far are smaller then the FOT maps, about 1/4th of them.

/me goes off to play some more
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

this game looks good

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Ray guns? You're worrying me now....
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
            Heh, i never played X-com so i wouldn't know about that.

One thing i noticed is that the combat maps i've seen so far are smaller then the FOT maps, about 1/4th of them.

* Lemmy goes off to play some more

never played x-com. That should be a crime. Heresy! Unbeliavable.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
              Ray guns? You're worrying me now....
              that's what the review in CGW said

But the game looks great up until that point.

Comment

I've been playing this all morning, and I have to say, the combat and graphics are absolutely amazing.

I want to see an X-Com game made with this engine!

Even a Jagged Alliance game would be nice.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I, too, was impressed with the detail and physics in the game. A couple more examples to expand on Lemmy's:

The first thing that sold me on the game was the ware-house fight in the tutorial. After sneaking around some crates and catwalks, sniping a few enemies, ect... I come to the last one who was sneaking his way up to me. When i spotted him, he had just climbed out of a pit in the ground (the place had alot of neat tactical things like that, since it was the tutorial) and I shoot him - his corpse falls back and flops over the edge of the pit. Corpses get tossed around like rag dolls - they'll lean against walls, flop over ledges, and everything. It happens with equipment too - on the first allied mission, I shot someone who was crouching on the top of a small hill, and when he died his rifle fell from his hand and rolled down the hill. Coincedentally, it stoped just three feet away from my character - I almost wish I was having ammo problems so that that bit of divine luck wasn't wasted.

I also had an entire building collapse on one of my guys, after he tripped a booby trap in a derelict building.

Just don't expect alot of historical accuracy - it's really just about the combat sequences. A few of the random encounters that I got in southern england had me in german occupied villages.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Here's a screenshot demonstrating what I was saying about the rag-doll corpses. This guy was kneeling at the top of the cliff, and when he died his corpse toppled down and got wedged between the rocks.

Oh, and did I mention that there's also ricochets?
                    Attached Files

Do It Ourselves

Comment

What's that weapon you are using? Why didn't the guy got blown into tiny bits?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        What's that weapon you are using? Why didn't the guy got blown into tiny bits?
                        That's a panzershreck, and it's actually his buddy. My squad's down at the bottom of the cliff hiding in the trees and rocks. If you're wondering about the scorch mark, well, his buddy is a bad shot But no, corpses can't be blown apart. They can get tossed halfway across the map from a good explosion, though. (which is what happened when I got hit by that same panzershreck a few turns later)

Another thing about the game - the campaigns seem to be randomly generated, to some extent. I assume it follows the same basic story line, but in both of the allied games I started I had completely different objectives, missions, and maps. (for the first three or four battles, anyways - I restarted after learning the ropes)

Do It Ourselves

Comment

keep us updated, but don't spoil it .

I definately think I'll be getting this game though. I figure I'll buy this and Arx Fatalis.

Right now I'm playing Fallout: Tactics again

Comment

Just got it for £8.99 on Amazon.co.uk which seems low enough to take a risk on (even if it is Jowood).

First impressions are very high recommended specs; 2.2GHz, 512MB ram and 128MB video ram - hopefully its practical to have less than this. Manual looks comprehensive which makes a change these days.

Now to find the 3GB its says it needs on my HDD and hope my old gfx card likes DirectX 9.0

Comment

whew, high system specs.

I think we did say this is turn based, right? I don't mind real time as long as you can pause and issue orders. But turn based is less headaches usually.

I'll be picking this one up soon.

Comment

Yeah, the system specs are high. It's mostly because of the physics engine, I think - even with a really good computer you'll notice that it sometimes skips or lags while calculating environmental damage... especially for large-scale things like buildings collapsing (which is a slide show with my athlon XP 2400 and Radeon 9700).

And yeah, it's turn based. By default it switches to realtime while outside of combat (In the style of JA2) but you can set it to be turn based 100% of the time. I personally prefer that, as you very rarely have any sort of "peace-time" scenario where you're just exploring the environment or talking to people.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X