Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Jamski's geekness
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Even if fireballs themselves produce no sound, the person being hit by them presumably does. Possibly even badger related.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        Even if fireballs themselves produce no sound, the person being hit by them presumably does. Possibly even badger related.
        Sig line
        Smile
        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

Sig line
          Good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
            Badger = Banana

I assume that any fireball that is powerful enough to destroy all the furniture and kill a load of gobins - or even quite tough creatures - is going to make a hell of a racket.

If its hot enough to kill stuff straight away, then it must heat the air very fast too - gives an explosive pressure wave, even without the initial explosion - however, we can assume an initial explosion because the fireball is not an instantly created spherical volume of fire, but a small point or ball of fire that then expands outwards to 30 feet, with a duration described as "instantanious". For a volume to expand from a point to a volume instantaniously a speed of near infinity is assumed. That will break the sound barrier and cause the "boom" sound associated with a grenade, for example.

-Jam
            It dosen't take much for even a little fire to severely harm living creatures -- all it takes is inhaling at the wrong moment.

According to the 1st edition DMG, the following saves are required for objects in a fireball (number or better on a d20):

bone or ivory 17
            ceramic 5
            cloth 20
            crystal or vial 10
            glass 11
            leather or book 13
            liquid 15
            metal, hard 6
            metal, soft or jewelry 18
            mirror 14
            parchment or paper 25
            stone, small or gem 7
            wood or rope, thin 15
            wood or rope, thick 11

Note that failing dosen't mean ash, it just means unusable. Half the furniture (and about a third of the books) would survive the initial strike.

Of course the fact that steel items would be destroyed a quarter of the time in the same strike implies there are zones of differing heat intensity within any given fireball -- possibly very small, with huge differences.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

How would you ever be able to save parchment or paper then?
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It's not easy.

Objects in a character's possession automatically save if the character saves, and need only roll to save if the character fails -- but if they need to roll, they gain full benefit of any save bonuses.

In addition, all magic items receive a bonus of +2, with an additional bonus of +5 if the magic in question deals with fire.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                X