Do fireballs make a sound in AD&D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do fireballs make a sound in AD&D?

The 1st edition Players' Handbook explicitly states that the fireball spell does not produce any pressure. Since pressure is required to make the waveform necessary for sound, this implies it is nessarily soundless.

What say ye?
    25.00%
    *poof*
    25.00%
    BOOM!!!
    25.00%
    badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadger
    25.00%
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

How does it produce an explosive burning effect without pressure? Fireballs should go BOOM!

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Unless you want to make the weak excuse that they are magic, and therefore do not follow the rules of physics, then they'd have to go wooooooosh.......kaboom! as they toast another bunch of goblins.
      Although the woosh would depend upon the air through which they were being fired. If your wizard wears gloves then will his fireball just burn them to pieces, or will it be created at a distance from his hands.

Comment

I had the idea that a fireball opened a microscopic hole to the elemental plane of fire for a split second....

But who knows how ANY spell really works?

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

The fireball is created a short distance away from the mage's fingertips, and then travels to its destination and explodes. In BG it makes a sound.

However I am intrigued by the idea of this huge explosion making a sound of badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerba dgerbadgerbadgerMUSHROOMMUSHROOM
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Well the fire boomerang goes
            banananananananananananananananananananananananana nananaboom!

Comment

I expect its more of a "woosh" then anything.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I'm in the *poof* camp, myself. The fireball is 100% fire damage, none "physical", so there can't be much concussive force involved.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                  I'm in the *poof* camp, myself.
                  Yeah, Asher told us all that.

Comment

No, he said he was in the *poof* camp, not a camp poof
                    Smile

Comment

If this slides all the way to spam, it will be closed.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And the answer, obviously, when a fireball explodes, it makes a sound of badgerbadgerbadgerbadger
                        Smile

Comment

I believe a fireball makes a sort of slapping/punching sound when it hits, provided that the caster pronounced the words "HAI DO KEN!" at its inception.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I remember that the exact words were written in the manual of the Amiga version, but it was definitely something like "Hya Ryu Ken!" - naming both the pupils of whichever master it was who had taught them that (and also saving on sound files ).

Comment

I knew the badger selection was a mistake.

Anyway, I'm going to dig up my old PH, to see if it adds anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X