Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats your favorite PC historical wargame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carriers at War - SSG
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

soon it will be Rome: Total War (can't wait till I get my hands on that baby)
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by centrifuge
        I like HOI, but something just seems to be missing, I love the idea of a WW2 TBS (yes I know its technically RTS, but come on ) but, it seems to be missing something that I can't put my fingure on I keep coming and going from it, because I know that it has potential, but someting about playing the game makes me lose interest.
        personally, it's how the countries are set up that does it for me. They're either too big. too easy, or completely insignifigant.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Harpoon (2 Admirals Edition)

Comment

Total War series, Medievial Total war especially.

No game I've ever played let me rack up such an obvious and blatant kill count.

nothing better than massacreing 6000 of the pope's forces with 2000 of your own. . . . .

real carpet of corpses game
            By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
              Total War series, Medievial Total war especially.

No game I've ever played let me rack up such an obvious and blatant kill count.

nothing better than massacreing 6000 of the pope's forces with 2000 of your own. . . . .

real carpet of corpses game
              I love those meat-grinder bridge battles.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
                It's very easy to kill hundreds of enemy soldiers with 50 of your own in Lords of the Realm II, but it's not a wargame.

Neither is the Total War series.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

It's very easy to kill hundreds of enemy soldiers with 50 of your own in Lords of the Realm II, but it's not a wargame.
                  And it's no coincedance that it has the absolute worst combat system ever.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

For some reason my M:TW has stopped working. I just tried a game after reading "carpet of corpses" and it works fine on the campaign map, but the battles go into super-slow motion. It used to be fine.

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Ah yes the carpet of corpses motif. A fine decoration as long as it is the enemies' corpses.

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                        And it's no coincedance that it has the absolute worst combat system ever.

Yeah it's pretty bad, but I wouldn't say it's the worst.
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Yeah it's pretty bad, but I wouldn't say it's the worst.
                          It's the only game I can think of that 'stacks' units into single groups, at random and unproportionate quantities. The advantage goes to whoever is lucky enough to get the small, spread-out groups, as opposed to a few huge groups that can only attack one thing at a time and waste a ton of damage potential.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Are we talking about the same game?

Comment

Are we talking about the same game?
                              Yes, Lords of the Realm 2. For instance, if you had an armyw ith 60 archers; In one battle they could be divided into 2 groups of of 30 archers, and the next battle it could 6 group of 10 archers.

The two groups of 30 will have to put all their damage potential into one or two units at a time. Whereas the 6 groups of 10 would be able to divide their potential damage towards anywhere form 1 to 6 targets, making it less likely to overkill and waste damage. On top of that, because they are more spread out, they make the enemy super-stacks more cumbersome and wasteful because they can only target and kill one of the small groups at a time.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

But that was a deliberate attempt to stop the "stack of doom" tactics most war games suffer from.

-Jam
                                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Working...
                                X