Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats your favorite PC historical wargame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats your favorite PC historical wargame?

Any time period (ancient to Iraq war) , any vintage (DOS to 2004) any level of operations (tactical to grand strategic) , TB or RT.

JUst make sure its about a historic conflict, and has some reasonable attempt to model the conflict with accuracy (ok to not have morale or supply, not OK to have meaningless scale like Age of Empires, Civ, etc)
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Age of Rifles was fun (I even designed two of the scenarios on the expansion disk). I've also had fun with the Battleground series. The Operational Art of War is also good for modern warfare.

But I'd have to go with The Great Battles of Hannibal as the best wargame I have played. The graphics weren't great, the combat system was pretty simple, but it had a great feel to it.
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Steel Panthers World at War is a great game. Its one of the few WW2 games to accurately depict the effects of supressing fire and surpise attacks, while still allowing the player full freedom and huge order of battle lists. I really like the calculations for shell diameter and velocity vs armour thickness and angle. Sweet.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
        Steel Panthers World at War is a great game. Its one of the few WW2 games to accurately depict the effects of supressing fire and surpise attacks, while still allowing the player full freedom and huge order of battle lists. I really like the calculations for shell diameter and velocity vs armour thickness and angle. Sweet.

-Jam
        tactical level, I take it? And is this the model the grognards were thinking of as a preferred alternative when they attacked the TOAW model some time back?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
          Age of Rifles was fun (I even designed two of the scenarios on the expansion disk). I've also had fun with the Battleground series. The Operational Art of War is also good for modern warfare.

But I'd have to go with The Great Battles of Hannibal as the best wargame I have played. The graphics weren't great, the combat system was pretty simple, but it had a great feel to it.
          i played the 2 scens in the AOR demo sometime back. Pretty good, IIRC.

Comment

steal panthers world at war was good (as was the earlier ones)

I only played a bit of it, but combat mission seems cool

and there is always VASL

jonM iller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

And is this the model the grognards were thinking of as a preferred alternative when they attacked the TOAW model some time back?
              Yeah, its pretty well respected. You can download it for free, try a Google, they keep moving the free server (because the bandwidth gets expensive with a 800meg download )

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

I like HOI, but something just seems to be missing, I love the idea of a WW2 TBS (yes I know its technically RTS, but come on ) but, it seems to be missing something that I can't put my fingure on I keep coming and going from it, because I know that it has potential, but someting about playing the game makes me lose interest.

Along the same lines I used to love to play Axis and Allies, 1st as a board game and then over the internet.

Med:TW, is also good but failed to keep my attention for long.

Comment

HOI is to "clean", that's the problem. It feels sterile. Med:Total War feels a bit too clean as well, at least untill the dead horses pile up.
                  But I wouldn't consider either "historical wargames", rather as strategy games in historical settings.

-Jam

Comment

Shogun and Medieval Total Wars are great strategy games, and they have a satisfying level of realism for the layman only discovering the setting.
                    However, they leave much to be desired if you want to go for real accuracy.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Shogun and Medieval Total War here also.

Comment

I heard Pacific War (also by Gisby) is also an excellent wargame. Never played it though.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The games that converted me to computer wargaming from waiting for a prearranged weekend to tabletop were the R.T.Smith games Arnhem and Desert Rats for the ZX Spectrum. They were low complexity but lots of fun. I even tried to rerun them through an emulator recently but without the sound it was impractical (the length of the machinegun bursts indicated relative damage in a nice intuitive way.)
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Sid wrote a trilogy of computer wargames during the early days of MicroProse: Crusade in Europe, Decision in Desert, and Conflict in Vietnam. They were all quite simple but quite accurate AFAIR.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

command hq. hands down.

Comment

Working...
                              X