old fart nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old fart nostalgia

inspired by the guy who had wooden risk pieces...post up any oddities in early games you had/played. for me:

*Pong clone for home TV's. It outlasted two of my computers. Included "jai alai" for self-pleasuring.

*"The Temple of Apshai" on cartridge for the c64. I always wondered why the ibm version was so crappy in comparision.

*Spirograph. 'Nuff said.

Re: old fart nostalgia

Originally posted by da_hal

*Spirograph. 'Nuff said.

Hours of fun.

i'd look for it for POTM, except she seems to have some REAL artistic ability, and can actually draw stuff on her own.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Pong clone for TV ruled!

Comment

Hunt the Wumpus on a TRS80. Classic.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Etch 'o' Sketch

Rock em Sock em Robots.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ive still got a Pong clone, or i dont know what it is....... the box says "Grandstand" on it and it has two scrolly controllers with really stiff buttons. I know it had a football tennis and pong game on it, id look but its in the loft.

I also played another game at my friends house, it was called Castles and Dragons or something, but all we did was fire these blue and red chips with the plastic crossbow and catapult at our castles, constructed lovingly with plastic bricks.

"Etcher Sketch" also owned because no one could draw anything good on it, except a house with strange lines across it.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Pinball machines with mechanical scoreboards and the flashy digital ones. oooo the sound,

djing..!!!! dzink djingk dg dg dg ting !!
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Castles and Catapults had plastic castles, rocks, and ships with rubber bands holding ledges for little plastic soldiers. Each side then used spring action catapults with red plastic balls and launched them at the other side. If the ball hit the right spot it would trigger the rubberband and send the soldier flying into the air.

Comment

that reminds me of another game i had. it was a board game, that had little traps hooked up with rubber bands, and interesting things would happen if the traps were set off. i remember we played it so much, there was only like 1 working rubber band left, so we had to use our imagination on the others.

if i recall correctly, it was like a haunted house or halloween themed monster game.

Comment

Castles and Catapults had plastic castles, rocks, and ships with rubber bands holding ledges for little plastic soldiers. Each side then used spring action catapults with red plastic balls and launched them at the other side. If the ball hit the right spot it would trigger the rubberband and send the soldier flying into the air.
                    Thats it i think, Castles and Catapults, although i know they werent "balls" they were shaped like gambling chips but they had round stickers of different rank of men on each chip, flicking one of those at someones face, especially with the crossbow, was quite painful, IIRC.

if i recall correctly, it was like a haunted house or halloween themed monster game.
                    It sounds abit like the Trapdoor boardgame.
                    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Re: old fart nostalgia

Originally posted by da_hal
                      *"The Temple of Apshai" on cartridge for the c64. I always wondered why the ibm version was so crappy in comparision.
                      I thought it's the Upper Reaches of Apshai? I played it on an Atari though.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It sounds abit like the Trapdoor boardgame.
                        Do you mean Mousetrap?

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

MouseTrap didn't need rubber bands.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

According to this review http://www.ciao.co.uk/Mousetrap__Review_60440 the elastic bands were a central theme.

Quote to save clicking on the link...

My kids were given this game by their Aunt, to whom I would like to say a huge thankyou, and ask if she wants to supply the hundreds of elastic bands that they keep breaking and asking for replacements!
                            They love it, it keeps them quiet for hours, when they can stop arguing about who is going to set up the next piece.
                            However, the fact that they continuously break the elastic band, lose the marble and leave lots of tiny pieces laying around, drives me crazy!!!
                            Not sure how long this game is going to last in our house to be perfectly honest.
                            PWND!!!!!!1!111!eleven

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Although I'm not sure where the elastic bands go... but this is a new version.

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                              X