No announcement yet.

I just got some 'new' games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There isn't that much to the strategic side of MTW either. The diplomacy is pretty limited and the large scale strategy is limited to 'where shall i invade next'. Even so its fun for a while and the tactical 3D combat is pretty good with a wide variety of units.

Does anyone watch Time Commanders on BBC2 in the UK - i've only seem one but i assume that's a modified MTW engine ? I found it surprisingly good viewing but i wondered if the AI was rewritten for each battle ?

Comment

There isn't that much to the strategic side of MTW either. The diplomacy is pretty limited and the large scale strategy is limited to 'where shall i invade next'. Even so its fun for a while and the tactical 3D combat is pretty good with a wide variety of units.
      the "tactical" combat is easily masterd by just a few formations. The AI is laaaaaaame.....and.....um....and the Pope is an A-hole!

Comment

Does anyone watch Time Commanders on BBC2 in the UK - i've only seem one but i assume that's a modified MTW engine ?

rome - total war
        Last edited by alva; October 25, 2003, 12:29.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Standup

Does anyone watch Time Commanders on BBC2 in the UK - i've only seem one but i assume that's a modified MTW engine ? I found it surprisingly good viewing but i wondered if the AI was rewritten for each battle ?
          I have watched it one time when some noobs had to replay Caesar's battle against the Helvetii..

looked fun, but the graphics were not that impressive (I expect rome to do much better)

and another thing is that it had some strategy in it, but it's still not the real thing.. I saw hordes of troops run kilometers at the same pace, with heavy armour on for example,
          and basically in ancient battles most casualties were not made during the battle itself, but after the battle, when the enemy was routed.. so they threw their shields on the ground and started running... => that's where the cavalry started its slaughter

in the battle they simply killed a troop, and then went on to the next troop

About the AI, I can imagine they give specific instructions for each battle (in the show), but as the player can do anything he wants (unexpected movements etc) I think the AI still needs to know how to react to that... the programmer can't predict what the player is going to do right?
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I've had three shots at a WC3 scenario and I've been crushed each time. Fantastic graphics though.

Just for comparison, I beat RoN on 'Tough' by my third game.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
            X