Favorite RTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Annihilation.
    The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

The only ones that I ever liked was:

Settlers II
      Europa Universalis II

But now I'm playing Port Royale, and that is a pretty darned good one.

But I'd still say EU II

Asmodean

Edit: I just remembered that many years ago I had a game for my Amiga that was called Megalomania. That one was hilarious.
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Mega-lo-Mania was a classic. I had a tribute thread in this forum about a year ago, and it was evident that many people remember this game.

Comment

Say Spikey....Where you at?

I had you figured for an American, but you seem to be posting pretty much throughout the day's 24 hours, so I'm having a bit of a problem imagining what timezone you're in.

Care to shed some light?

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

How dare you!

I am British. I don't post when I am asleep, which you wouldn't notice, since you are in a similar timezone.

Comment

Frozen throne.

All time favorite has to be broodwar.
              :-p

Comment

Another vote for Settlers 2, and a vote for Settlers 3 (which, despite the name, is a completely different game).
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

age of kings is the best, age of empires and age of mythology are not as great as aok, but they still leave all competition behind by a mile!
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Everything Age; of course.
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Blizz4ever! Die Age scum!

Comment

Total Annihilation with Warlords Battlecry II second and Kohan as the honourable mention.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Since most of the games of my huge collection over the years have been RTS, it is impossible to name the best one. Though I can narrow it down a little bit.

- Warcraft (I, II and III)
                          - Dune 2
                          - Red Alert 2
                          - Age of Kings
                          - Age of Mythology
                          - Homeworld
                          - Dungeon Keeper 2
                          - Rise of Nations
                          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Warcraft II and III is about equally fun, but WCIII has better graphics. If you've got a reasonably new PC go with III.

Black and White is quite unusual, and I found it extremely appealing. The downside is that bad creature habits eventually get frustrating. But the unusual MP makes it very enjoyable.

Those would be my favorites of the genre.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Age of King/Age of Conquerors. Great game with a big following on the Zone for multiplay.

Comment

only RTS games Ive played

Ive played Age of empires/Rise of rome, various city builders (simcity2000, caesar3, 1602AD) and Sid Meiers Gettysburg.

If youre looking for something new, i presume youre already familiar with AOE. And if your focus is on RTS, i presume the citybuilders, though technically real time, arent what youre looking for.

I would therefore suggest you check out Sid Meiers Gettysburg. Challenging, thought provoking, realistic, yet very real time combat engine. In the tactical wargame tradition there is no Resource management/peasant pushing. Grouping into regiments and ability to move regiments as brigades mean less micromanagement of troops, and is realistic for the period. Instead of micromanagement, you must manage formations, terrain, and morale.

Same engine is applied with some modifications in Sid Meiers Antietam, and is licenced out for Napoleon at Waterloo and Austerlitz.

BTW, Brian Reynolds apparently had a role in design, and SMG seems to have influenced RON.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X