is 256k enough RAM for current games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LotC

Well, Dell isn't really a name brand. They actually only assemble parts into complete computers; in fact they manufacture absoulutely no parts of their own. The only thing Dell, Gateway, et al really sell is the service of gathering the parts and building the PC (usually in godawfully cramped and hard-to-take-apart cases).

As far as the quality of the parts, I think you would be unpleasantly surprised to see that a lot of them are lower grade. Pop open you case and check out the power rating on your power supply. Less than 300W? No name brand? Probably.

If you want good name brand RAM, i suggest Hyundai, Corsair, or Micron.

If you want a good next computer, I suggest getting all of the parts yourself and spending a few hours putting it all together. It's actually easier than it seems, and you will get to know your computer much better than if you buy a pre-packaged one from Dell. You will also save a hell of a lot of money (did I mention that the OEM manufacturers mark up their prices ridiculously?).
    good point about Dell - this can help me argue queen of the mark into another brand. Doubt i can get her to accept the idea that i build it myself, appealing though that concept is to me.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

For people who aren't serious techies/gamers, I would suggest buying namebrand. You get what you want for slightly less, and you know it will work when it shows up at your front door. No real hassle.

However, if you want to easily upgrade processor, RAM, etc. , build it yourself and know what's in your machine.
      cIV list: cheats
      Now watch this drive!

Comment

Originally posted by MattH

However, if you want to easily upgrade processor, RAM, etc. , build it yourself and know what's in your machine.
        I just finished building my first PC...(lightening fast )

From this point, I swear that I will never again buy a pre-assembled PC. Nothing beats knowing exactly "what is under the hood". The only downside that I can think of is the lack of manufacturer warranty, but all of the parts are individually under warranty, so there is still a safety net.

Comment

hi ,

since most people want fast games , and to be able to do a load of things at the same time , get whatever you can , make sure you can expand also , .....

just watch out as to what you have , sometimes two times 512 is cheaper then four times 256 , etc , ......

its intresting to see how most people feel that 256 is all that you need , ......

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag
            its intresting to see how most people feel that 256 is all that you need , ......
            It all depends on what you your machine for.
            My father has only 256, and it more than he needs. The only games he plays are like FreeCell.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

It all depends on what you your machine for.
              My father has only 256, and it more than he needs. The only games he plays are like FreeCell.

hi ,

okay , he does not need more then that , ......

héy Rah , he does not play civII mp , like his both sons , ...

a general Q ; do you look at the type of ram when you build or buy your comp , ......

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

general Q ; do you look at the type of ram when you build or buy your comp , ......
                Most new computers/mobos support most DDR, so not really. I'm not willing to pay the extra $$ for a tad more speed, rather spend it going up a processor level.
                cIV list: cheats
                Now watch this drive!

Comment

512. Definately.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by MattH
                    That may be the case, but compare RON to AoE I and II, or the rainbow 6's, or even Civ II to Civ III in complexity of rules, graphics, and AI... I think it's warranted.
                    Neither rules nor AI takes up much room. Graphics shouldn't, either.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Is 256 enough? Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

But it depends on what speed the memory is, and what the game is. 512 of PC2700 has done wonders for me so far in conjunction with my Geforce3 vid card.

Operating system also is a factor.

Comment

Just get as much as you can afford as often as you can until your board is full. RAM is the best upgrade you can do for a machine without rebuilding the whole damn thing.

Comment

héy Rah , he does not play civII mp , like his both sons , ...
                          CivII MP doesn't require much memory at all.
                          I'm tempted to teach him the next time I'm down there, so there's something we could kick his ass in.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Let me clarify the situation.

Queen of the Mark acknowledges the need for a new PC - the old one is, well real old. The hard drive is close to full. Even Queen of the mark, who never plays games, has some software she wants that wont run on it.

Princess of the Mark is counting on us passing the old dinosaur 'puter to her when we get a new one. (she doesnt get much on the way of electronics so this is a big deal) She is also hoping that the new 'puter will play The Sims

Queen of the Mark has never accepted the concept that you buy hardware for games. A budget PC with 256MB would satisfy all those needs, as well as all the games i would be likely to buy for the next year or two. Realistically I dont buy more than 6 or so games a year.

There are several games that WOULD run on the current 'puter that i am interested in and dont yet have. Baldur's Gate, Myst, a flight sim, at least one wargame. Then theres Age of Kings, which should run on the current 'puter based on specs, but doesnt cause of a conflict between the MS copy protection and our brand of CD drive. so thats like 5 games. Then theres The Sims (which i will play too, not just Princess of the Mark) Thats 6. Then add in Medieval:TW, EU2, and probably another wargame. That gets us to 9, even without RON, Civ3, another RPG or adventure game, etc. So we're probably up to over 18 months of "gameplay" before we even begin to need the 512MB. So it would seem that a 'puter with 256 MB and room to expand to 1 gig or more would be just fine. Unless a case can be made that Windows XP simply doesnt work on a 256MB machine period.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Just doubled my memory from 256mb to 512 in my dell p4 1.7ghz laptop.

Running XP.

did not notice an improvement in game speed loading times but I did notice an improvement in XP bootup and shutdown times.
                              signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                                Unless a case can be made that Windows XP simply doesnt work on a 256MB machine period.
                                XP has problems with some of the older games, particularly DOS ones.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X