No announcement yet.

Any Rail Baron Players here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the impact is greater than that. It shifts the balance to buying railroads. Would you use the PA often enough that you'd save 30 grand in fees in the long run?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In a normal game, you are buying rails anyway... and once they are all bought, you are staying on your rails anyway... and unless you rail network sucks, you won't leave it often. So everybody is saving pretty much the same money.

The only impact is to speed up the game, and it makes sense to do it in tournament play.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, but you guys have stopped buying railroads, right?
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Only in three man games.
          All the rails are still being bought in four+ man games.

RAH
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm sure there are scenarios in 4-man where "run away and hide" would succeed, but we haven't gotten there yet. (Well, thinking about it, it may have happened once or twice, but with only a couple rails left over.)
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The best way to beat "run away and hide" is to purchase all the rails to double the penalty. In a three man game, it costs too much money, in a four man game it's much easier.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So, how do you rank the Big 3 rails? I myself have always liked Santa Fe.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  So, how do you rank the Big 3 rails? I myself have always liked Santa Fe.
                  Depends on the number of players.

In a real game... where all the rails are bought... the PA is still the best. The ATS&F is probably number 2. If you mean the Big 3 are the ATS&F, the UP and the SP... the Santa Fe is indeed the best of those three.
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

Yeah, "Big 3" are the AT&SF, the UP, and the SP.

Comment

The ATS&F's strength is that it's fast and goes all the way to Chicago. The UP is fast and gives you some coverage in two regions... but without the WP, not being able to get to Oakland/SF is a big minus. At least it's usually easy to hook up to.
                      The SP is a great rail and gets to a lot of cities... but it's really slow, really doesn't give you any locks...
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

The SP is excellent if you travel between South Central and Southwest. Otherwise it's just very slow.

Comment

If I already have the WP, I'll go for the UP.
                          If I have the Denver-Rio, it speeds up the SP some.
                          But with neither, ATSF is prefered.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In a normal game, would you not save up to buy one of them instead of getting WP or Denver-Rio?

Comment

Good game
                              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                                In a normal game, would you not save up to buy one of them instead of getting WP or Denver-Rio?
                                If you are saving for a big rail... It never hurts to buy one of those two while you are getting enough money.

6 or 8 thousand doesn't really hurt your ability to buy a big rail. Especially if you are on the West Coast, and you are only 10 short of what you need... the odds are, your next run will give you the money you need, and you will also have the small rail In our normal games, those rails go pretty early.
                                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X