Best Game 'Minor' Innovations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandman
    Games coming in DVD boxes, as opposed to those cardboard boxes.
    Lol.............I still have a space the size of a small warehouse back home dedicated to storing all my old boxes from Amiga and PC games.

Comment

Minor innovations?

Most of them are already said, but:

-Mouselook...I can't imagine life without it
      -Keyboard Shortcuts...Ditto
      -Changing weapons with the mouse wheel...
      -asdw instead of arrow keys...my keyboard is in the position where using the arrows would be uncomfortable to say the least, but asdw works great (then again maybe I am just an idiot)
      -noCD cracks....
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

-Changing weapons with the mouse wheel...
        Eek, that's awful. Use a different key bind for each weapon, and find something else for the mousewheel.

Comment

No, it's not. I use it all the time for MoH:AA and SH.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

- Using mousewheel for zooming in RTS games...

What I like most of all, is:
            - Having several different teams, with special abilities (Special units, etc)
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
              No, it's not. I use it all the time for MoH:AA and SH.
              Well I don't play MoH, but if there are several weapons I bet you the top players don't use the mousewheel to change weapons.

I am a Quake3 player............no one who is anything in the game uses the mousewheel for weapon switching. When you need a certain weapon you need it immediately, not after you have cycled through the weapons.

Comment

I play Red Faction....(go ahead, laugh)you rarely need to change weapons, and most of the time you'll find a brand new bug when you try to use a key bind.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Total Anhilation: Intelligent units. If they where ordered to move somewhere and encounter an enemy on the way, they will engage it (and do a "drive by" if possible), ect... very few RTS games do this for some reason, and that is why I hate most of them.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

quake1 - mouselook... i'm not sure if you'd call it a minor innovation though. at the time hardly anyone used it or knew about it while today every uses mouse look.

Duke3D had that.

very few RTS games do this for some reason, and that is why I hate most of them.

It's because very few RTS games let units move and attack at the same time. Among other things, that limits the utility of horse archers in AoE because it eliminates the main reason for their historical success.

Total Annihilation: Everything queue-able.
                    Imperialism II: WEGO movement.
                    Age of Wonders: Simultaneous turns.
                    Warlords Battlecry: Persistent heroes. Persistent heroes. Perstistent heroes.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Automapping in RPG's. The ability to annotate automaps in RPG's. The ability to record conversations and events in RPG's.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                        quake1 - mouselook... i'm not sure if you'd call it a minor innovation though. at the time hardly anyone used it or knew about it while today every uses mouse look.

Duke3D had that.
                        Yeah... to bad I didn't learn it, before Duke3D was almost getting too old...

Comment

I can't beleive noone has said
                          AUTOSAVE!
                          Can you imagine life without it? And yet its nothing special really, is it?

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art
                            AUTOSAVE!

-Jam
                            Hmmm... I should have mentioned this:

- An option to disable autosave...

autosave is sooo annoying...

Comment

Pah - Autosave has saved my life soooo many times. Y'know, when the computer crashes, and you hadn't saved for 3 hours...

I autosave.

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art
                                AUTOSAVE!

-Jam
                                Who uses it, anyway?
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X