Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think Firaxis is doing right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermath looks great. I hope they get it done soon.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Hm, Pirates 2 would not be a bad idea...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I fear that the success of Civ 1 (which I've only looked at and never really played) and Civ 2 will never be repeated. They are difficult to improve upon.

I, for one, would be completely satisfied if the bugs in Civ 2 were ironed out and minor changes made, like adding the possibility to move units in stacks and getting rid of rush buying.

I fear that my expectations on future Civ games will always be too high and the disappointment grim...

Maybe they're working on a new Civil War battle?

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim
          Don't see Sid Meier working on X-COM. Can't imagine that at all...
          I think X-Com was made in England and Sid had nothing to do with it.
          Just found my X-Com Manual. A company call Mythos Games Ltd made the game.

Comment

Right. What I was referring to was the rumour that he will be working on a remake of X-COM, or a sequel, or whatever you wanna call it.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
              I fear that the success of Civ 1 (which I've only looked at and never really played) and Civ 2 will never be repeated. They are difficult to improve upon.

I, for one, would be completely satisfied if the bugs in Civ 2 were ironed out and minor changes made, like adding the possibility to move units in stacks and getting rid of rush buying.

I fear that my expectations on future Civ games will always be too high and the disappointment grim...

Carolus
              I completely agree. IMO the best chance for a great Civ2.5 will come from one of the non-commercial efforts.

Comment

My view is there are improvements that can be made to Civ, and Civ 3 is a step in the right direction. First thing they need to do is to eliminate ICS, the way to do it is to remove city building out of the player's hands. Make that a consequence of population development in a region. The player can do things to help with this, of course. Variable city radius and cultural influences are good additions. They should also make the whole thing more like playing a country instead of a collection of cities.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

I completely agree. IMO the best chance for a great Civ2.5 will come from one of the non-commercial efforts.

Why make Civ2.5 when Civ3 is superior in every aspect save one, scenarios?

Comment

Well you are entitled to your opinion but the majority of long term serious civvers understand the limits to Civ3 gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      Well you are entitled to your opinion but the majority of long term serious civvers understand the limits to Civ3 gameplay.

Right, ok.

And I've played Civ, at least the PC game as long as anyone on this board, unless the man himself or his testers are lurking, so get off your high horse.

How many people still hang out in the Civ2 forums here? 10? 15?

edit: add to this message

Comment

so get off your high horse.

What? Ain't it big enough for the two of you?

Sorry sleepy, I just couldn't resist, but you've gotta admit that your original statement was a little bit high-horse-ish too.
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                          so get off your high horse.

What? Ain't it big enough for the two of you?

Sorry sleepy, I just couldn't resist, but you've gotta admit that your original statement was a little bit high-horse-ish too.
                          Well, yes, I would admit that. In retrospect I am not embarrased by how I used that phrase, but that I used it at all, I mean, I'm not in my sixties yet, I should have better cooler phrases to use than that one.

Comment

I reckon Firaxis are

a) Busy writing patches for existing games.

b) Waiting for market maturation.

I don't mean they're standing still - no doubt storyboarding and design of new games is advancing. However, the lack of public announcements makes me suspect that current PCs (at least, what most people have) are not powerful enough for what they have in mind.

Another way of looking at it - they're designing games now that will be completed when everyone has a 512M machine and at least a 1G processor. If I was in their shoes - that's what I'd be doing. Release in 3-5 years say.
                            Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                            "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

How many people still hang out in the Civ2 forums here? 10? 15?
                              Yep, and that's about 10 or 15 more than you'll find in the Civ 3 forums six and a half or seven years after that game was released.

Seriously, the forums may be slow, but Civ 2 is alive and kicking.

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

Yep, and that's about 10 or 15 more than you'll find in the Civ 3 forums six and a half or seven years after that game was released.

Seriously, the forums may be slow, but Civ 2 is alive and kicking.

Carolus
                                I'm sure in five years the same will be said about Civ4 and Civ3, but its all good.

Comment

Working...
                                X