Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think Firaxis is doing right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adagio
    replied
    EDIT:

Do'h... nevermind, didn't read the news
    Last edited by Adagio; May 15, 2003, 14:31.

Leave a comment:

• kring
    replied
    Civ 3 XP2 and Pirates 2 for now, but it looks like they have acquired the rights to some good titles.

Leave a comment:

• Carolus Rex
    replied
    I'd like to change my vote to Pirates II.

Carolus

Leave a comment:

• Joseph
    replied
    It would be nice to make some more scenarios for PTW.
    WWI and WW II for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Cruddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You must be kidding. Most games don't even make CPUs sweat, just look at the frame rates of Quake 3 etc. running on high end Wintel boxes.
    Not really fair to compare Quake engine games - it steps way outside the O/S. Most games run with the burden of the MS O/S. Quake engine games running in OpenGL really stuff DirectX equivalents.

Processor speed is one factor, but a more important one for a deep game is memory. Virtual's all very well, but it slows down the action. I was really thinking of when enough people have a decent chunk of RAM rather than processors > 1G or faster.

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

A completely new game is definitely much better than a sequel, if it is done right.
    I agree with you 100%.

Pirates was an amazing 8 bit game. You played the part of a Pirate commander in the Caribbean, starting with a tiny undermanned vessel and ending up with a fleet of frigates and a huge army capable of sacking all the cities for whichever country you wanted to.

Pirates - I had loads of fun playing it - but I honestly can't see how they'd do the sword fighting in 3D without a lot of keyboard commands. I'd love to be proved wrong on this.
    Last edited by Cruddy; May 13, 2003, 06:28.

Leave a comment:

• DrSpike
    replied
    Pirates.

Leave a comment:

• Adagio
    replied
    In the news they say Firaxis might be working on Pirates II... this picture gaves them the idea:

Now's the big question: What is pirates? I've never played that game... what was it about?

Leave a comment:

• kring
    replied
    Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Right, ok.

And I've played Civ, at least the PC game as long as anyone on this board, unless the man himself or his testers are lurking, so get off your high horse.

How many people still hang out in the Civ2 forums here? 10? 15?

edit: add to this message

Originally posted by Carolus Rex

Yep, and that's about 10 or 15 more than you'll find in the Civ 3 forums six and a half or seven years after that game was released.

Seriously, the forums may be slow, but Civ 2 is alive and kicking.

Carolus
    I don't post in the Civ 2 fora, but I do still play the game on a regular basis.

Leave a comment:

• thinkingamer
    replied
    Originally posted by pg
    i hope they are working on an entirely new game. i pretty much always prefer something totally new to sequels.

btw, i think all civs are pretty deeply flawed gameplay wise but they are still fun as long as the micromanagement doesn't get out of control(ala civ2).
    Well, i prefer GOOD sequel than a totally new stuff as long as its done well. Which games are good sequels? To me Civ2, HoMM2, Warcraft2, and AoK:AoE2 comes to my mind.

I have to agree that there is too many flaws in all Civ games (including SMAC and CtP), but many people still plays them because its fun and the CONCEPT of the game is very interesting; which strategy gamer would not be tempted to play a good Empire simulation (w/ interesting diplomacy, trade, and of course WAR!). But to me Civ3 had enough "flaws" to really not get into it.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    A completely new game is definitely much better than a sequel, if it is done right.

Leave a comment:

• lord of the mark
    replied
    no one thinks they're working on a dino game?

or a more serious collaboration with Maxis?

Leave a comment:

• Naiveplayer
    replied
    Civ3 profits? Firaxis turned a profit on Civ3? I thought they lost money from all the posts how Civ3 is really bad on cfc and poly...wait, that was reputation actually.

I hope they are working on a ptw patch. They need to appease the non-US players and fix little issues.

Leave a comment:

• pg
    replied
    i hope they are working on an entirely new game. i pretty much always prefer something totally new to sequels.

btw, i think all civs are pretty deeply flawed gameplay wise but they are still fun as long as the micromanagement doesn't get out of control(ala civ2).

Leave a comment:

• Nubclear
    replied
    What is it doing?

Masturbating. Just look at Civ3 and PTW

Leave a comment:

• Urban Ranger
    replied
    The Sims meets Civ? Now that's an interesting idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X