• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French having second thoughts?

French now say war maybe was a good idea

April 23, 2003

BY CHENE BLIGNAUT

PARIS--Natalie Lavarra is having second thoughts about her position on the Iraq war.

''I still think it was right of [French President Jacques] Chirac to say no to the war,'' says the Paris secretary. ''But when I saw how happy the Iraqis were . . . I had to ask myself whether we didn't perhaps make a mistake.''

This sentiment reflects a growing uneasiness in France about Chirac's fierce opposition to the American-led campaign. Until a week ago, finding anyone here who disagreed with the government on the war was as likely as discovering oil in Paris.

But since the symbolic fall of the statue of Saddam Hussein in Baghdad and scenes of cheering Iraqis, signs have emerged that the antiwar sentiment is softening.

''Chirac was wrong to say no to the war,'' says bartender Georges Chabat. ''The Iraqi people wanted to get rid of Saddam Hussein.''

''Since they saw the rapid fall of Saddam's empire, the French are asking themselves if they hadn't perhaps been wrong in making themselves irrelevant to the course of history,'' says Dominique Moisi of the French Institute of International Relations.

Until three weeks ago, 84 percent of the French were anti-war. Last week only 55 percent felt that way, according to the Sunday newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche.

Chirac's staunch resistance boosted his popularity to an all-time high. But despite still scoring 65 percent approval ratings in French polls, his role has changed from that of an international hero walking the moral high ground to what appears to be a sulking lone voice, fighting not to be excluded from sharing in the spoils of the war.

The result, says Alain Madelin, a Conservative politician who opposed France's war policy, is that Chirac has been presented as Saddam's best friend.

''The Iraqis feel today they had been liberated without--and even against--the will of France,'' he says.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

The power of media!
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Chegitz... please spare us....

Anyways, this is the least of French concerns:

For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Time will tell. The French made a huge power play and appear to have lost a decisive round. A big plus for them, however, is the resurrection of the Franco-Russian alliance. This "axis" bears watching.

We can only hope that the French will see the error of their ways.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Interesting.

Then again, everything is biased, and you can tell that article is just dripping with bias.

Comment

It is easy to dismiss, but not easy to display your own sources to counter that article. I learned that very quickly here. Dismiss it as biased.. fine.. but at least post an article that says otherwise.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The french have actually won since they stood up against the US.

Broke ground for the EU.

Didnt cost them anything except some anger from the US which has always baffled me:

"we are angry at you because you dont let us go and kill people"

then of course it became apparent that americans are afraid of terrorism and they were feeling that france was actually prohibiting them to defend themselves (as they saw it)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                It is easy to dismiss, but not easy to display your own sources to counter that article. I learned that very quickly here. Dismiss it as biased.. fine.. but at least post an article that says otherwise.
                If you asked Chirac's take on the situation, I'm sure he'd say something different.

I just advocate a grain of salt with everything in life.

P.S. I strongly support the war and would love to see France come to the side of Light.

Comment

Paiktis, France lost. They may have stood up against the US, but they lost. And yes it will cost them dearly for not supporting the US...

Broke ground for the EU? Exactly which part of the EU? The old Europe as Rumsfeld so cunning stated?

P.S. I strongly support the war and would love to see France come to the side of Light.
                  You have a German flag under your name though...

Comment

I hold the German spirit, not the German political and diplomatic POV.

Comment

I like German spirits! In fact I am going to go drink one right now!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Straw also said the war could have been avoided if France and Russia had joined Britain and the United States in giving Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) "a really tough ultimatum" on getting rid of weapons of mass destruction.

Is Jack Straw trying to beat the Iraqi information minister ?
                        "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

The french have actually won since they stood up against the US.

Broke ground for the EU.
                          Broke the EU more like it. Wish Blair would now quit trying to get us further into europe, listen to Maggie, listen to Gordon, STAY OUT !!!
                          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

As Bush Sr said "The French are French."

Nothing you can really do about them...

Comment

the French are asking themselves if they hadn't perhaps been wrong in making themselves irrelevant to the course of history

they've been completely irrelavant since they started and lost world war 2
                              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                              X