No announcement yet.

Scandinavians and Finns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't say it's filmed like a documentary, no. The working on the fields repeats itself a couple of times.* It starts with Karl Oskars father that works hard with getting rid of the stones out of the field. In one scence he tries to get rid of a huge stone that breaks him and his son takes over the land.

* I don't know how it works in a country like Greece but in a cold climate stones raises to the ground. During the fall water has a tendency to gather under stones in the ground. When the temperature goes below zero the water turns to ice and expands pushing the stone up to the ground. This means that if you have a field with a lot of stones you'll probably never get rid of them.

Comment

Yes he has... But i do recommend reading the books anyhow. IMHO Moberg is a great author.

Comment

Hmm if it wasn't filmed like a documentary then it becomes more and more unpropable that it's The Emmigrants. Also there was an unusual "fragmantation" in the pixels of the image screen. Meaning that the movie pictures ressembled a bit a high resolution... mosaic, it wasn't a crisp clear image. It wasn't from older image technology. This was certaintly a kind of filter on the camera.
        There was a scene where the father tried to remove a large boulder from the field I think with the aid of another family member. There was also a lot of explanations about all the difficulties of the cultivation of the fields. And it felt like you were there besides them. Inside the scenes. It didn't leave anything for the imagination or rather small gaps like small incertions to fill them with your own thoughts and cling better to the overall movie.

I will try to find the emigrants to check it out anyway. Assuming the book was made into a film?

Comment

I remember it was filmed in the fashion of a documentary. Like being a documentary that is although it clearly was a movie.
          that makes me think it's a rather new film. do you know when it was made?
          the farmer - was he dressed in 19th century or "modern" clothing?
          CSPA

Comment

Yes, there's a film version of the book (otherwise we shouldn't think it might be it); The Emigrants (utvandrarna) from 1971 and then The New land (Nybyggarna) from 1972. Jan Troell is the name of the director and features a number of other good actors like Liv Ullman, Per Oscarsson and Allan Edwall. However, It's problaby very hard to get in Greece.

Comment

Does this ring a bell?

Comment

Gangerolf, old clothing but not a century old. More like around 30 - 40 years old? But I can't be sure since the clothes farmers use are not so drastically changed through this time span I think.

Kropotkin, thanks. I think you're right. Very hard to almost impossible to get a hold of that in Greece if it is not relatively known outside of Sweden and Scandinavia. If it had won some award the videostores could have it though. Then there's the student cinema association of the university of athens but I doubt they loan their movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                  Does this ring a bell?

nope, the main character was a relatevely old man with austern (is this the word? like tough, dugged in) face characteristics, and no hat as far as I can remember and the stones were smaller. The scenery was also not so green at all.

Comment

I think the emigrants become a more remote possibility but will try to find the movie. It nevertheless fits the overall scenario the most from what I have heard so far.
                    Last edited by Bereta_Eder; April 26, 2003, 09:33.

Comment

if there were mountains in the background it's more likely it was shot in norway than in sweden or finland. just a thought.

and not very green? maybe somewhere in northern norway then. if so, then perhaps you saw a film version of a Hamsun novel. (But then we're back to the 19th century. argh)
                      In short: I have no idea.
                      CSPA

Comment

How many films about the difficulties of a farmer's family life do you people have??!!

Comment

I know there are an awful lot of Finns in northern Ontario. They settled there because nobody could figure out what to do with the wasteland.

Finnish farmers LIKE dragging around rocks.

It turns them on or something.

A strange people.
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

/me pokes Seeker for a boring remark.
                            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                            X