Terrorist Hijacks Bus in Germany.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrorist Hijacks Bus in Germany.

HANOVER (Reuters) - An armed man hijacked a bus with about 15 people on board in the northern German city of Bremen on Friday, triggering a police pursuit along a motorway.

Police said they had made contact with the man, aged about 20 and of foreign appearance, but did not know his motives. He boarded the bus on Friday morning at around 9:40 a.m. (3:40 a.m. EDT) and threatened the driver with a gun.

The hijacker let three passengers go and the remaining 15 were sitting in the rear seats of the bus, N24 television reported. The man was sitting behind the driver with a gun pointed at him, N24 said.

The bus, traveling at about 30 miles per hour, was headed south after passing Hanover on the A7 motorway, about 90 miles from Bremen.

The hijacking comes two weeks after a bank robber hijacked a bus in Berlin. Police stormed that bus after a four-hour stand-off, shooting and injuring the assailant while rescuing his two hostages unharmed.

Television pictures on Friday showed a red and white bus followed at a distance by a convoy of marked and unmarked police vehicles and ambulances. The driver was clearly visible but the gunman could not be seen.

The police spokesman said the hijacker was of "southern appearance" -- a loose description German police often use for people from southern Mediterranean, Arab or Asian countries.

"We have no information on his motive and no indication that he has used any violence," the spokesman said. A television news reporter in the convoy said police appeared to be trying to create a traffic jam to force the bus to stop.

The bus hijacked on Friday belongs to the Verkehrsbetriebe Bremen-Niedersachsen (VBN) public transport company.
    urgh.NSFW

Everyone's a freaking terrorist these days.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The background is still unclear. Latest I heard is that the hijacker wants to talk with the mayor of the city of Bremen...
      Blah

Comment

I don't think that "Hijacker hijacks bus" is a good sentence, Osweld.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Solved allready.

Storm in a glass of water.
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

THERE'S A BOMB ON THE BUS

whoah

Comment

the hijacker, a 17 year old libanese, finally gave up. no one got wounded. hijacking busses seems to become pretty popular in germany.
              I only have a german link here for those who are interested and able to translate.

Nachrichten aus Deutschland und aller Welt mit Kommentaren und Hintergrundberichten.
              justice is might

Comment

am i the only one, who aftre reading ixnay's post, thought the bus couldn't go less than fifty miles an hour?
                B♭3

Comment

am i the only one, who aftre reading ixnay's post, thought the bus couldn't go less than fifty miles an hour?

"An armed man hijacked a bus "

I would like to see an armless man hijack a bus that can't go less than 50 miles an hour! Now, that would be entertainment.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Seems it had indeed a terrorist background - German media report they found letters of the Lebanese hijacker where he mentions a plan to fight against Israel.
                    Blah

Comment

Time to call in Inspector Callahan...
                      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Working...
                      X