AAAIIIEEE!!!!! help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAIIIEEE!!!!! help!

i'm attempting to install civ 3, however, it got stopped in the middle of the sound files via the cat jumping on the keyboard. now, it won't run properly, and i need to know how to remove civ3 from the registry after it's been manually deleted.

can anyone help me out?
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Regedit.

MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!

Then search for civ3, firaxis, or similar keywords. Delete as needed.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

can i get step by step destructions?

Comment

Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re format!

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

pardon me, ming... i never, ever, claimed to be technically savvy. and my sense of humor, and machismo will not allow me to ask for "directions..." destructions, on the other hand, are perfectly acceptable.

Comment

can't reformat! not my computer! surely there is a way around this...

Comment

step by step destructions for using Regedit is entirely correct. Do something wrong and you better have the backup Skanky mentioned or you will reformat.

It is easy to mess things up with regedit.

Also try loading it again, then UNINSTALL it.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

already have tried to uninstall it... it doesn't do anything...

Comment

Re: AAAIIIEEE!!!!! help!

Originally posted by self biased
                    .................. and i need to know how to remove civ3 from the registry after it's been manually deleted.

can anyone help me out?
                    Manually deleted? Not uninstalled?
                    If so, install it again, reboot, then uninstall, reboot, and then... install it one more time. Should work.
                    RIAA sucks
                    The Optimistas
                    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

it won't let me "install" it. merely "re-install" it. it attempts to uninstall it, which gets me nowhere. can anyone help me use regedit?

Comment

...?

Comment

I wish i could help.
                          Anyway, make a backup copy of the registry (name it registrybacup, for example) and try to delete any key with Civ, civilization, firaxis, infogames, and related, in the name. Close regedit. Then, try to install again (don't reboot yet! Try the reinstall first). A lot of work, the registry has too many keys and folders...
                          If this don't work, restore your backup copy (no reboot, please...) ... and ask for help again.

I had to do the same with Norton a few days ago. Works, but is like walk in a mined terrain!

Here are the keys I've deleted (remember, this is an example!)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\No rtonAntivirus
                          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Sy mantec.Norton.Antivirus.IECont
                          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shellex\ContextMenuHandle rs\NortonAntivirus
                          HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shellex\ContextMenuHandle rs\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IECont
                          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Symantec
                          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Installer\Pro ducts\3C5C570370804294FAF8FF7250C221EA
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App
                          Paths\Iamapp.exe
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\Components\6666F05E5F93D1148D 900054012E0D7
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\Products\238D3C3469CAA364F84E B1D8B1AFF23A
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\Products\3C5C570370804294FAF8 FF7250C221EA
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\Products\68268697785A12D49AFA 59AC05C4EC6E
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{0AE91EA0-83D4-49B9-ADF7-B769F7D091A4}
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{3075C5C3-0807-4924-AF8F-FF27052C12AE}
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{43C3D832-AC96-463A-8FE4-1B8D1BFA2FA3
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{71D03DD3-C6D9-4503-A1CC-FBA576F6CFE3}
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{79686286-A587-4D21-A9AF-95CA504CCEE6}
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{A4409609-BC39-49BD-8D28-0F19AF6122C6}
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{F4C9398F-B6C6-4A4B-8B6D-795CD86F915D}
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\LiveReg
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\LiveUpdate
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\NortonAntiVirus
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\NortonInternetSecurity
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DNSFILT
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\FWFILT
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\HTTPFILT
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NAVAP
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NAVENG
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NAVEX15
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NDISFILT (ATENÇÃO: não
                          remova a chave NDIS)
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NISDRV
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NISSERV
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NISUM
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SYMFILT
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SYMEVENT
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SYMTDI
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SYMREDRV
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SYMFW
                          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\SYMNDIS

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Installer\P roducts\47897D8CB2F76434991FAD8AAAFBD9AC

As you can see, some of those keys don't have any reference to nothing like symantec, norton, or so. But IMHO a game is very simple compared with all those Symantec Stuff.
                          RIAA sucks
                          The Optimistas
                          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

where is this registry file located...?

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
                              where is this registry file located...?
                              Start>Run>Regedit

Or get a registry cleaner.

Or thank your cat for sparing you from such a horrible game.
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                              X